Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe, Pissing Me Off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:34 PM

Heh, this thing is taking 50% of my CPU all the time, and can play games anymore because of the lag. I dont know what to do, I disabled auto update, thought that was causing the problem. I would rather not disable any more processes, but cant take this crap anymore. Please help me to reduce its cpu usage to normal. heres a screen of the stuff using svchost.exe

Posted Image

Thanks very much for all the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

Have you followed BlackViper's suggestions concerning "services"?
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

Right click on the svchost.exe process and select "go to services" This will tell you what services are running under that particular svchost.exe process (they'll be highlighted). Then you can troubleshoot each process to determine what's causing it.

Edited by usasma, 29 November 2007 - 09:07 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

hey thanks a lot for the link, it was a readyboost problem. i cant see how its fun helping noobs like me all the time so thanks a million.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

A long time ago in a land far away (actually, it was 1988 in Tongduchon, South Korea) a computer repair tech went out of his way to help my friend and I. We were regularly breaking the office computers - so he thought that he'd help us out by teaching us about computers. So here I am, years later, doing the same thing. It's my way of paying back the selfless dedication of those who gave freely of themselves so that I could learn.

Also, by helping others, I learn more also. I research most problems to be sure I'm giving the best advice that I can - and by doing that research I learn more about how the OS operates.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users