Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Start (renamed C: To M:)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 helltrack

helltrack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:22 PM

My brother could not see his external hard drive on my computer, so he did some research and found that he needed to assign it an available partition...whilst doing this, he assigned my C: drive the letter M...now, everything would not work...said it was looking for C:blah\blah\blah...etc.... so i used the old school method of reboot to fix...I turned off the computer and now it will not even startup. I get a blue screen the say windows. any ideas? I have looked and have not found a boot disk. someone please help.

thanks

brad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:08 PM

Well...XP won't allow anyone to assign a different drive letter to a C: (system/boot) partition, so I'm curious as to how your brother managed to do this.

Maybe you need to tell your brother to unfix it whatever he did.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 November 2007 - 07:09 PM.

#3 Pippincp

Pippincp

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:14 PM

An external hard drive does not need a partition! If your C:\ drive has been renamed you will have to reinstall. Slap your brother round the back of the head and tell him to leave your PC alone!

During reinstall windows will detect a previous version after that select repair and you won't lose anything

Edited by Pippincp, 28 November 2007 - 11:17 PM.

#4 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:11 AM

An external hard drive does not need a partition! If your C:\ drive has been renamed you will have to reinstall. Slap your brother round the back of the head and tell him to leave your PC alone!

i did something like that years ago....and i had to reinstall......good luck

#5 helltrack

helltrack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

thanks for the advice...maybe i dont have XP, not sure...i certainly cant tell if i do or dont now. I will try to do the re-install, can i borrow someone else disk to do this or do i have to have my original?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

If you can find out how your brother renamed the partition - there may be a way to undo it. But don't hold your breath!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users