Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigwiggler

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:11 AM

when i put a shortcut on my desktop, the icon belongs :thumbsup: to the site the shortcut is for, but almost always after awhile that icon changes to the generic icon and i don't know how to get the original icon back....plus, if i could get them back how do you get them to stay....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:09 PM

Hi bigwiggler, :thumbsup: to BC.

The icon picture you are talking about is called a favicon. They disappear after awhile because M$ stores these pictures in your temp files and once the temp files get cleaned out, your icon reverts back to the internet explorer symbol.

There are two ways you can deal with this problem, one is to go into your internet temp files (located at C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files, this is with WinXP) after visiting your site, copy the favicon to a folder somewhere and assign the shortcut that icon by hand. To assign an icon by hand, right click on the shortcut, select Properties, Web Document and then the Change Icon button. Navigate to the icon you wish this shortcut to use through the Browse button, select it and choose OK twice and your shortcut will now appear with the icon you selected.

Or download the program called Favorg from this site: http://wittswallpapers.com/Oldies/indexoldies.html. This software stores your favicons for you so you don't lose them when your temp files are cleaned out.

I have never used this software because I have been assigning custom icons to my shortcuts long before I heard about this program, but have seen it recommended on many other web sites to people with the same problem you are facing.

Edited by Ronbo, 21 February 2005 - 03:10 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users