Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anti Spyware programs have Trojans/Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Forrest

Forrest

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

Hello!

In the last week I've installed a few programs onto my computer.Ad-Aware SE personal,SpywareBlaster and Sygate's Personal firewall.All were free "shareware".After installation of these programs,I have begun to have many more pop-ups than ever before!Also,my browser now is acting kinda of strange.It doesn't load pages in a smooth way like before.It's very jumpy.I am using Mozilla Firefox as a browser.I never had pop-ups before I installed these programs.This leads me to believe that one or more of the Anti-Spyware programs is really spyware or a Trojan Horse.I had been using Spybot Search and Destroy and X-Cleaner as well as Norton-Antivirus previous to the installations listed above and everything was fine.I have checked the security log of the Sygate personal firewall.The description field of the security log says this:

Application Hijacking has been detected
The application: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe try to launch another application: C:\Program Files\SpywareBlaster\spywareblaster.exe to go to remote host www.spywareblaster.net

Can someone please give me some advice as to what to do about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hi ... Take a look at this website it will help you understand which are the good ones and not so good , It also matter from which website you download programs from , not just the program itself

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

#3 preventiveguru

preventiveguru

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:45 PM

Yes its possible to have spyware tools in anti spyware software. It is important to read full terms and conditions before you click "I AGREE" button to install any software. vendors can put spyware tools legally in you PC with your agreement if you don't read terms carefully.

Also there is a possibility that spyware tools corrupt anti spyware application in your PC and provide false information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users