Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Has Gone Crazy!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jlhale

jlhale

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:40 AM

The other night I got a mesage from McAfee saying that a trojan was detected in C:\Windows\17PHolmes1188.exe and was removed. Ever since then my computer has been weird. Now it is shutting down explorer.exe. When you restart windows and login it will initially load explorer and then my icons on the desktop start flashing on and off until they finally disappear along with the taskbar. McAfee is not detecting whatever is causing the problem. I have also tried windows malicious software program, windows defender and adaware, yet nothing shows up. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without having to f disk? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

scan for spyware with spybot and ad-aware and replace mcafee with AVG if you dont mind, Do scans if this does not fix it do a system restore back to when you know it was working then scan again it should be find after the system restore.

Please note system restores can move files and get rid of programs and system changes you have made since that date.

you can find the above mentioned programs on download.com

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:54 AM

Try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:28 AM

Hi jlhale, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

17PHolmes1188.exe is indeed a nasty (put there by a nasty called Vundo) and McAffee did good by catching it. However, McAffee may not have killed all of it. Try this:

1. Download VundoFix.exe
2. Run VundoFix.exe
3. Click the Scan for Vundo button; it will start scanning. This can take several minutes, so go have a nice cup of coffee or something
4. Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
5. You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click "YES".
6. Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
7. When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click "OK"

Let us know if that did the trick.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 29 November 2007 - 06:29 AM.

#5 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:29 AM

After removing the nasty/virus delete all previous system restore points, as the virus will remain in those files and could be re-entered if you later use those system restore dates.

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/2006/1...em-restore.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users