Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Asks For Way Too Much!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jkilmnop

jkilmnop

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

I was using my PC right after having just installed vista and noticed that none of my games were running smooth...I found that to play a game which requires 512MB of RAM on XP needs 1GB to run on vista. How is it that Vista needs to run all of those other processes to keep a computer going. I'm fairly certain most of us were happy with XP...and besides, Vista is really just for looks, gamers beware!!! Seriously though, what makes Vista need all of my memory?
Jeffrey Toro

Life is like taking a ride on the road. You really can't stop in the middle of it to check a map, doing so might cause you to take unnecessary risks. Just keep up with what's going on around you and have fun in life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

Vista Basic uses just 512mb just to run the os and 1gb for Home Premium + Its reccomended to have 2gb+ for ever edition of Vista. If you want to play a game the game will use ram if you have the lowest amount for the OS there will not be enough ram for both. I think vistas worth It I just put in 3gb. Works fine for me.

Vista Basic uses just 512mb just to run the os and 1gb for Home Premium + Its recommended to have 2gb+ for ever edition of Vista. If you want to play a game the game will use ram if you have the lowest amount for the OS there will not be enough ram for both. I think vistas worth It I just put in 3gb. Works fine for me.

#3 D beau

D beau

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Yes, the fact that Vista is a mem hog...old news really. I'm sticking with XP until the service packs for Vista get released.

Edited by D beau, 28 November 2007 - 01:59 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

Frankly, I like Vista despite it's demands for more resources. It doesn't crash as often as XP did and it has more security and more troubleshooting tools. But it's not perfect - nor are we likely to see a perfect OS. A perfect OS will do anything that you ask it to - so what if someone else doesn't want it to do that? An OS is a compromise - and as it allows us choices it becomes more complicated.

Also, new OS's often suffer from growing pains - as the kinks that irritate users are worked out along with security, stability, and performance issues. That's the reason (IMO) that Service Packs were developed - it's a refinement of the OS.

Another issue is with the "newness" is wanting to use older stuff with it. IMO Microsoft has "shot themselves in the foot" by striving to maintain backwards compatibility. As the OS gets more complicated, it becomes more difficult to provide backwards compatibility.

But this is a business decision on their part - not an essential part of the OS. It keeps customers happy when they find out they don't have to buy all new software and hardware in order to use the new OS. Would you change OS's if you knew you had to get all new programs and hardware to use it? When Vista launched with it's increased hardware requirements it was a tough sell because most people needed a new system to take advantage of it - add to that all new programs and hardware and not many would have decided to upgrade (again, IMO).

There's also the "newness" issue. It's a great thing to have the latest OS - and it does give significant bragging rights (to some) early on. Then it becomes the "standard" - so if you don't have it, you're behind the times. Then it matures, and you'll be able to find everything that you want for it - but Vista's only be out for 10 months now so it'll take some more time to mature.

I liken it to buying a new car. When someone buys a new car they don't expect the old tires to fit it. And most people don't try to install all the accessories from the old car to the new one. And what happens if those accessories that they do try to install don't fit? They may go out and buy new one's - or they may wait until they become available (as the market matures).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:30 AM

Yes, the fact that Vista is a mem hog...old news really. I'm sticking with XP until the service packs for Vista get released.

Because then Vista will use less memory? :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users