Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Reformatted My Laptop After I Crashed It...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jkilmnop

jkilmnop

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

I have no idea what I did, I used all of the disks to set the thing up again, updated all of the drivers, and it's still not working right. Sure it runs fast and sweet, but I want to be able to view movies and sites with 32 bit color instead. What do I need to do to fix this problem???
Jeffrey Toro

Life is like taking a ride on the road. You really can't stop in the middle of it to check a map, doing so might cause you to take unnecessary risks. Just keep up with what's going on around you and have fun in life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:53 AM

Sounds like the video driver is not installed -- if you go into 'Device Manager' there will most likely be a yellow or red symbol against the device listed under "Display Adaptor", or a question mark against an 'Unknown Device', this proves there is either a driver missing or wrong driver installed. In such cases, Windows has to substitute it's own 'generic' video driver in place of the manufacturer's driver - and the generic one is fixed at low res and low color-depth, regardless of what your display adaptor is actually capable of.

Without knowing the make/model of your PC we can't direct you to the maker's website -- they have all the drivers for it.

Please post back with more information so we can help you further.

Edited by pip22, 28 November 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#3 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

Yup sounds like the video drivers are not up to par. Search on Google the maker of your computer + drivers
for example: "HP Drivers" When you find the drivers page of the computer maker search for video drivers for your make and model of computer. Download the newest driver. restart and you should be good

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

there's often a chipset driver(motherboard northbridge) that controls either the agp or pci-e bus, this usually needs to be loaded before the actual video driver

some laptops have both integrated together
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 jkilmnop

jkilmnop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

It's a sony vaio
Jeffrey Toro

Life is like taking a ride on the road. You really can't stop in the middle of it to check a map, doing so might cause you to take unnecessary risks. Just keep up with what's going on around you and have fun in life.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:46 AM

if there's no problem is device manager, all the drivers are installed, then try to adjust the display properties

sony made a lot of different vaio's
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 jkilmnop

jkilmnop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

I can adjust them, but i have to go in through the display properties and select display modes, and when i make the display larger it has to sacrifice color...
Jeffrey Toro

#8 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:11 PM

you may not have the correct driver. try rolling back the driver in device manager or down loading a differant driver from sony

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users