Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Users With Admin Privileges

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

When users with admin privileges have ownership of files and folders, do those files and folders remain, or are they deleted?

This question arises from having tried to copy my primary admin profile to that of a new (backup) admin user. During that tedious and unsuccessful process, I had to change ownership and privileges of a number of folders and files, and now some of my programs are having trouble finding needed files. :huh: So rather than wading through everything and changing the settings back, I'd prefer to delete the new admin user -- as long as I won't lose the files.

Does that even make sense? (It's way past my bedtime!)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:10 PM

Make copys of all the files you want to keep or use an admin account and pull the files onto the account you wish to keep then delete the old one. As long as you have a copy that you have privileges to on the account you are going to keep you should be fine, just make sure to keep a copy of all the files that you can get into.

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for your response, PBG. Unless I've misunderstood what you said, it sounds much like wading through all my files and folders. Sigh. Do you know specifically what will happen to the folders and files if I simply delete the second admin account?

If not, then I think I'll just leave things as they are and make ownership and privilege corrections as I run across problems.

I'm not trying to be difficult or argumentative, just looking for as simple a solution as possible. The attempt to copy the profile from one admin to the other took me several grueling hours, and I just don't want to have to go through that again - at least not all at once.

Thanks again. :huh:

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:33 PM

Use the file and settings transfer wizard, transfer to a flash drive, then create a new account and finish the wizard by transferring into the new account. once that is done, and you have verified that all the files you need are there, then you can delete the account that you don't want.

edit: meant to say Easy File Transfer, glad you understood

Edited by oldf@rt, 29 November 2007 - 10:03 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:04 PM

Oh man, I didn't even know that wizard was there! Thanks so much, OldF@art! :huh:

ETA: Well, I did know, but I never paid any attention to it because of its saying "from one computer to another." Duh. :huh:

Edited by Dialer, 28 November 2007 - 08:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users