Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello All

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TravelingGal

TravelingGal

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

..specifically, not in the general sense :thumbsup:

I'm using a computer mostly for home use. Single station, two users. I'm moving soon, and have had to tweak the other account a bit to maintain security, so I'll post my question(s) in a relevant forum. So far, I've managed to solve a few problems, and have a few more to go.

The fact that I'm currently incapable of completely filling out the system information on my profile page (or, in a couple of cases, not looking it up now) should give you a clue about my level of competency. Seriously, though, I'm a not too bad a study. Would anyone like to reccomend any good intermediate books about WinXP (I'm not ready for VB!)

Thanks for any direction any of you might give in the future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hello, TravelingGal.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Sorry, can't recommend any books on XP.
Self taught.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.
If you have any questions about how to use this site, this forum will probably answer them.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 TravelingGal

TravelingGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

Thanks. I think I'll be falling into the self-taught category as well. My first contact with a 'puter was an AppleIIC, which dates me a bit. I've checked the orientation and tutorials & didn't find info relevant to what I need to do, so it's time to start asking.

#4 CalamityKen

CalamityKen

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:58 AM

I find that the For Dummies series of books are quite good and have self paced lessons and good examples.

You could probably find one at a local library but I find its best to purchase my own so that I can make notes in it and leave a bookmark in there to indicate where I left off.

They are about $40 and are well worth the money and the time invested to read them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users