Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Static-y/clicking Coming From Headphones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hello. About a year ago I had ordered a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones, for the professional sound quality, since my Dell stock speakers didn't quite pack the audio punch I wanted. Well upon plugging them in and putting them on I've been hearing a slight ticking/clicking with it sounding like it's muffled under static..After starting up games I heard this sound get louder, realizing I'm basically hearing the computer "working".

Now a year ago this didn't bother me much at all. It wasn't that loud. Even after a video card upgrade it didn't change.

But now today I have made a switch from ATI to NVIDIA, with my graphics card. An 8800GTX in fact, from Foxconn.

After installing it and putting on my headphones I've heard that this clicking and other miscellaneous noises have become louder, especially under load. Can anyone help me out with this? Either eliminate it or at least quiet it?

I'm using the integrated sound device from a Dell Dimension 4700, the Sony MDR-7506 (brand new, replaced since orginal purpose), and the 8800GTX..if any other hardware specs are needed let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

Have you tried. In the control panel. Sounds and audio devices. The banner audio.
Where it says default device, press advanced, banner performance, crank it all the way best/full.
(Windows XP)

Could be a loose connection. Try straightening the headphone cable.

Hope that's it. :thumbsup:

#3 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

Well I tried moving the headphone plug to the plug in the back of the computer..Which I don't like doing for the wire's sake..but it seems to have quieted the sound..Something going on with the front jack makes the sound louder..Also muting sound completely makes it go away So I'm pretty sure it's the onboard audio. I've ordered an addon card and should be getting here sometime to see if that fixes..if not then I'll post another topic back here. Thanks for the help though.

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:21 PM

Sounds to me like it's the wiring, that could be the problem.
Not plugged in tight something like that.
It's often the case I got this old soundblaster that omit static just if I turn the speaker plug.
You'll need to check the mobo connections.
Consult the manual.

#5 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:30 PM

It's an integrated card though, and after browsing through the Dell support apparently it's a common issue with their integrated sound, with no hints at a solution other than buying a different sound card. I've ordered a Creative Audigy card to fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users