Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Usage Is Always 100%?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 G_Eris

G_Eris

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

I have windows XP with SP2. My computer crashed several months ago. I used the recovery CD's to reformatt the entire computer which usually works perfectly. This time however, my computer keeps saying my CPU usage is a constant 100%. I know this can't be right. It' does run a bit slower than it used to. Is there some way I can find out what's causing my computer to register the CPU this way and is there some way I can clean it up some?
Thanks a bunch!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:25 PM

This sounds like a virus. Hold ctrl, alt, delete at the same time and have task manager come up. Switch to the process tab and look through whats using up the most CPU.

One time this happened to me and my computer was going terribly slow. It always said 99-100% cpu usage and it was under system idle processor. That shouldn't really be using any. Turns out I had a terrible virus.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 G_Eris

G_Eris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

I looked under the processes and it says that spoolsv.exe is using all the CPU. If it's a virus, how would that show up in a clean reformated computer that had no access to the internet at all?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

Well I just googled your problem, and the spoolsv.exe is from you printer. Maybe this article can help you out: http://torque.oncloud8.com/archives/000384.html . If something is confusing I might be able to help you out.

Edited by Sterling14, 27 November 2007 - 08:42 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 G_Eris

G_Eris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Thanks Sterling! It's amazing sometimes how a simple little fix can make all the difference in the world when it comes to your computer speed! I won't know if the fix is permanent until I reboot, but it sure beats what I was working with!

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

Could be a backdoor.
Check the startup list -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/Cat-S.html
Recheck the spelling of that .exe.
Run a virus scan.
Have a look in here -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
As far as I can make out.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

edit

how would that show up in a clean reformated computer that had no access to the internet at all?

Just like to add, that considering this I agree it should be hightly unlikely, so no need to panic.
Anyways better safe than sorry. I couldn't see it as a backdoor, but virus do spread through other means than the internet.

Edited by nightspydk, 28 November 2007 - 09:53 AM.

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:49 PM

This sounds like a virus. Hold ctrl, alt, delete at the same time and have task manager come up. Switch to the process tab and look through whats using up the most CPU.

One time this happened to me and my computer was going terribly slow. It always said 99-100% cpu usage and it was under system idle processor. That shouldn't really be using any. Turns out I had a terrible virus.

System Idle Processes should be high when the CPU is not busy. When Sys Idle is at 100%, CPU usage is 0%. http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/fi...20process/25540

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:58 PM

RknRusty is correct. 100% SYstem Idle = 0 load on the CPU. The system is free. Open an application and see the change.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Oh, I didn't know that. I assumed it was since my computer was going so slow, and task manager said 99-100%. My total CPU usage said 100% though at the bottom of task manager, and nothing else was using it. It's no big deal though, since its not a problem now.

Congratulations on your fix G Eris!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users