Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Mcafee (uninstalled Norton), Computer Running Slower

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ole Man Bourbon

Ole Man Bourbon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:58 PM

My Norton expired so I went with the complimentary McAfee program via Comcast, and my internet has substantially slowed down to the point where pages and pictures won't fully load and I lose my connection with online applications. Before I switched security programs, as in earlier that day, everything was fine. I have run the virus checker, adaware, spybot, Ccleaner, and am still eking by. I did a speed test and got a reading around 2000kbps with a ping of about 180. Also, it seems my puter keeps churning as though it's doing something, even when it shouldn't be, in a cycle of about every 5 seconds (CPU light runs and the rattling sound occurs). I can't seem to figure out what may be causing this.

Additionally, when I surf the net, using Firefox, all of the ads show up, despite the fact that McAfee's box to remove the ads is checked (I tried unchecking it and problem remained).

Anyone know what could be the problem? Thanks for any help, this is driving me cuckoo. :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 28 November 2007 - 12:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

Anyone know what could be the problem? :thumbsup:

I would guess McAffee. Dump it.
If you want a free AV program there's several to be had.
I've found NOD32, although not free, to be very compatible and uses very little system resources. You could use it for a 30 day trail and see if your computer runs fine with it.
X

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:07 PM

There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security programs. What works for me may not work for you. Sometimes a program just won't play nice with a system. My advice-investigate other alternatives. There are a lot of good FREE security programs to choose from. Try one or several of them. See which one(s) work with your computer.
At one time, I also tried the Comcast supplied McAfee, and while it didn't slow down my system I decided I just didn't like it.
If you want to purchase a program, see if what you are interested in has a trial offer and install it. This will let you find out if it is a good fit for your computer AND you can get find out if it's user friendly.

A good place to start is
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

When you uninstalled Norton, did you also run the Norton removal tool? Norton is notorious for leaving traces behind.

The removal tool can be found here:
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 November 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

I used Macafee years ago and it slowed my computer to a crawl. I could speed it up by changing some settings. There was one check box that allowed it to scan every exe file as I, or some other application began executing it. I don't personally know about the newer versions, but I've been told it hogs system resources much worse than Norton.

I use Norton despite its large footprint because I get AV/Firewall/anti-malware all in one package. I prefer that over picking those components seperately and trying to make them all play together nicely. I may be over cautious that way. I do make Live Update run manually though, because it was always interrupting my work, and that really pisses me off.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:05 AM

How did you uninstall Norton?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 HIPPO1023

HIPPO1023

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 04:14 AM

Please try this method.
http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t5233.html

#7 Ole Man Bourbon

Ole Man Bourbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:30 AM

Thanks guys. Using the Norton removal tool has helped with the speed. However I am still getting the 5 sec cycle of CPU activity. Web pages still peter-out quite frequently. Did another speed test and got 4700kbps so it isn't my ISP. Gonna keep working.

Still haven't figured out how to disable ads which I'm sure is part of the problem.

edit: just used JV16 registry cleaner, didn't seem to do anything.

edit2: I'm now starting to seriously consider scrapping McAfee. Looks like I'm running out of other options.

Edited by Ole Man Bourbon, 28 November 2007 - 12:29 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:25 PM

If your Internet connection is slow and your not finding any malware, see:
"It's not always malware: How to fix the top 10 Internet Explorer issues".
"Troubleshooting slow Internet connection".
"Get to the bottom of a slow Internet connection".
"Troubleshoot A Slow Cable Modem".

If your using Internet Explorer 7, the Phishing Filter could be causing your computer to respond very slowly as it evaluates Web page contents. See "The Phishing Filter may slow down the PC" and "How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:07 PM

Ole Man Bourbon, If you want to keep working with McAfee here is something you can try. This is a direct quote from a thread about McAfee Troubleshooting in the Comcast Help Forums. (NOTE:I advocate getting rid of McAfee)

Computer slows down or alerts about hardware incompatibilities appear:

If after installing the updated McAfee products your computer begins alerting you to hardware incompatibilities or your computer drastically slows down, try turning off the buffer overflow protection:

1. Open up McAfee Security.

2. Bottom left corner, click on Advanced Menu. (if it says Basic Menu, skip this step).

3. Click on Configure.

4. Click on Security Center

5. If not already selected, click on Protection Status.

6. Click on Advanced.

7. A new box will open up and if necessary, click on Ignored Problems.

8. Locate Buffer overflow protection is disabled, and put a check mark next to it.

9. Click on Apply and then OK to close the box.

10. Click on Basic Menu to return the Security Center to the initial startup screen.

If this issue persists after disabling the buffer overflow protection, investigate any software conflicts by opening the task manager and look for processes that are utilizing a high percentage of CPU time.

Also, do you have the Comcast toolbar installed on your computer?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 November 2007 - 09:16 PM.

#10 Ole Man Bourbon

Ole Man Bourbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

Thanks again, Q-E. Actually, I have already ridded myself of McAfee. It would have been interesting to have seen if that one checked box would have solved the myriad of problems McAfee caused my computer. I guess I could reinstall it and find out, but I'm thinking about just coughing up the $60 for Norton since it does work well on my computer. Maybe I should try one of the freeware programs first, though. Decisions, decisions. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ole Man Bourbon, 30 November 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

BEOFRE you fork over the bucks for Norton, head over to
Norton Trialware Page Here
The trial versions are for 15 days. You'll know long before the end of the trial period if it's something worth purchasing.
Even if you have used Norton in the past with no problems, there is no guarantee the newest versions will play nice with your computer.
I tend to stick with free versions of security programs. After my last experience with Norton AV and an update that caused a really strange problem with my computer, I got rid of it and Norton is no longer allowed on my computer. (The issue was resolved by accident, when I uninstalled NAV-and I noticed the problem went away. NEVER did I or anyone else consider that Norton was causing the issue). If a free version develops glitches that cannot be fixed, I'll find something else free, that way I don't waste money on a program that doesn't work with my system.

#12 Ole Man Bourbon

Ole Man Bourbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

I ran the trial Norton and just decided to go ahead and buy it since it works well on my puter. But darn that annoying Phishing Protection bar!

Anyway thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

#13 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

Uninstall Norton and get AVG Free

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users