Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 _naruto_

_naruto_

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:40 AM

I need to buy new RAM from my computer, thing is I got the computer from a second hands shop and they didn't tell me anything about it. I know I've got about 128 MB just now but I don't know what type it is. I went into my local computer shop and asked for a RAM upgrade and the shop assistant just stared at me as if I was a talking gnome. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:16 PM

The easiest way will be to open your case and have a look.

Or you could down load the Everist Home Edition program and run that on your system.

You will then just have to click on "Motherboard" and in the directory under that select "SPD" and that will tell you all you need to know about your RAM.

Edited by JackTheHaack, 21 February 2005 - 04:15 PM.

JTH

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:33 PM

Where I agree with JTH I also highly disagree. to a beginner with computers, and sometimes experts you can't always tell what type/speed/brand you have by looking at it. I would suggest taking a look at This Post there is 2 free utilities that will help you find the info you need. use which ever you feel comfortable with some feel one or the other is more difficult Iíll leave that up to you as I feel both are clean & cut.

EVEREST Home Edition - a freeware system information, system diagnostics and
benchmarking solution for home PC users. Similar to Belarc, but much more comprehensive.
Belarc Advisor - builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser.

Edit: :thumbsup: JTH Beat me by his Edit

Edited by LoLucky, 21 February 2005 - 03:35 PM.

#4 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:16 PM

:thumbsup: Sorry LoLucky........ after I realized what i'd suggested, I then thought back to the days when I was terrified just looking at the back of my case, let alone unscrewing the damn thing.
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users