Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 8200 Motherboard Leds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

Just wondering if any Dell techs could help me. I am trying to verify whether a motherboard is good or bad. It was used previously.

I installed the CPU, memory, video card, HD and CD-rom. When I boot up I get absolutely nothing on the monitor. :thumbsup:

I don't get any post beeps or anything. I see the Fan runs as well as the HD but the LED's on the back of the MB are not lit at all.

I'd like to know if I could boot this into BIOS with no CPU or memory? Anyone can tell me that? Haven't tried it but I thought it should; just that it will error out and show me on the rear 4 LEDs. I am certain the CPU and memory are good but I would like to eliminate anything that can be.

Any help would be most appreciated. :flowers:

Thanks.

DR

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

Computers won't power on at all without a processor, so the processor is probably good.

I'm not really sure about the ram though. I remember one time I fried the ram on my friends computer and it seemed to turn on, but with no display. His uncle added new ram later and I guess it worked. I think the one slot the stick was in got fried too though.

Lastly, you might already know this, but you don't need a cd/dvd drive or a hard drive to have a computer boot on.

You might want to see if switching around the ram affects anything. If you have more then one stick try one stick at a time in different slots.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:06 PM

These are Rambus RAM, which must be used in pairs. What a dumb thing.

I figured that those 4 LEDs Dell uses shoulld do something, no?

I would think it would start beeping if the RAM was bad. You know, each error has a different number beeps, usually.

DR

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:36 AM

Would you please tell us what motherboard that is and what CPU you installed? Have you changed any other components, like the PSU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:42 AM

Well, as the title suggests, it is a Dell Dimension 8200 motherboard. They only used one, I believe, with or without an additional lower section. This one does not have the lower riser.

I am using a P4 2.8GHz CPU that I was using in an XPS Motherboard.

Yes, the Power Supply is good. Also used with the XPS, as well as the HD and CD-Rom.

I just returned everything to the XPS board and everything works. Boots up fine.

Only difference is the RAM. The 8200 uses RAMBUS. I have 2 modules and 2 blanks loaded. I would think if the memory was bad, I would get the POST but also some beeps. I get nothing. And none of the LEDs on the back light up at all.

I hope this helps.

DR

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:26 AM

Here's a thought. Why don't you just remove the ram of the XPS. See if it boots.
Not really something I payed any attention to. Like to know what you find out.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Well, as the title suggests, it is a Dell Dimension 8200 motherboard. They only used one, I believe, with or without an additional lower section. This one does not have the lower riser.

I am using a P4 2.8GHz CPU that I was using in an XPS Motherboard.

Yes, the Power Supply is good. Also used with the XPS, as well as the HD and CD-Rom.

I just returned everything to the XPS board and everything works. Boots up fine.

Only difference is the RAM. The 8200 uses RAMBUS. I have 2 modules and 2 blanks loaded. I would think if the memory was bad, I would get the POST but also some beeps. I get nothing. And none of the LEDs on the back light up at all.

I hope this helps.

DR

I was hoping that you would know which motherboard was being used so as to save me the time of looking up, which I did. That 8200 only used one motherboard which is the 7E598, I wanted to know because Dell is well known for using non ATX PSUs. This motherboard is one of the exceptions, it has a ATX PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for checking. I wasn't sure what you meant by which board as there is nothing on it with that number. I believe it is 7E598 or 0F141, no? They are both supposed to be the same except for the PCI riser card, which mine does not have. :flowers:

I received the power supply from a customer's new DELL that had a video card upgrade. The video upgrade required him to get a bigger power supply. He gave me the original. Nice guy. :trumpet:

I will try it without the RAM and see if I get a POST.

I went back and reinstalled my XPS board with the same CPU and it took off fine. I have another P4 1.7 that I will try in the 8200 board. :thumbsup:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users