Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adware/malware Keeps Returning After Reboot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 orahi001

orahi001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:42 PM

Hello experts,

My computer was infected with Malware/Adware

I have scanned my hard drive several times with different products in normal and safe mode

I ran Trend Micro Internet Security Pro in normal and safe mode and it removed several viruses and infected files.

rebooted...still get browser pop up ads

I ran Ad-aware which cleaned up more infected files.

rebooted....browser pops up return

Spybot in normal and safe mode...deleted several Adware Malware files.

I reboot now and Spybot and Ad-aware don't find anything; however I keep getting browser pop up ads.

I currently running superantispyware to remove the same Adware/Malware files that Spybot claims to have cleaned up.

Threats
Adware.Vundo-Varient/Small
Adware.Vundo Variant
Adware.WINSHOW
Unclassified.Unknown Origin
Adware.Tracking Cookie
Adware.Web Buying
Malware.LocusSoftware Inc/BestSellerAntivirus
Adware.ClickSpring/Yazzle

I ran HJT scan and removed suspicous looking exe files.

I'm still getting these browser popups and the above threats keep returning.

I'm not sure what else I can do...someone please help.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

Hello,welcome to BC
Let's run these applications and see if we can clear it up.
Follow these instructions How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection
From Normal mode Next:
Download,install (save to desktop),update SUPERAntiSpyware.. ..
Now reboot PC into Safe Mode. How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Scan by clicking on the Super icon on the desktop or Look up Superantispyware in the programs list.
Scan the root drive (usually C:\)
Quarantine all items found.
Reboot back into normal Mode.
Let us know how it went.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 orahi001

orahi001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hello again,

sorry for posting under the incorrect topic.

SuperAntiSpyware seemed to have fixed the problem...I rebooted and the scan didn't find anymore adware/spyware. I also don't see anymore browser pop ups. I ran the HJT log and don't see anything that stands out

I always see praises about Adaware, Spybot and TrendMicro but they didn't work as well as SuperAntiSpyware. Maybe it was the combination of all the scans that did the trick.

anyways everything looks to be back to normal. :thumbsup:

thanks for the help

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:37 AM

Glad your PC is clean. We move them to get more good eyes on the topics they like.
Basically the anti virus and spyware apps have their own signature base. So what e misses the other gets. Super tho' is an excellent app.

NOW one last thing to prevent possible accidental reinfection by opening an infected Restore Point. Creating a new System Restore Point, that will be a safe point should you need to restore to it. Malware may still be lurking in these postions. Restore Points are system protected and not scanable by the softwares. So if in there they're still in there still.
Create a Restore Point Tutorial

The easiest and safest way to do this is:

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
Click "OK".
Click the "More Options" Tab.
Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 FriendlyTwo

FriendlyTwo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 10:40 PM

Finished reading these posts.....RAN (well, not really!) to SUPERAntispy. After trying at least 7 or 8 other programs, THIS is the one that has my computer back to normal. :thumbsup: to this company AND to boopme. I am so relieved and so exhausted from trying to fix the problems.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

Well FriendlyTwo thanks for the nod and glad it worked for you also. Now don't forget the final steps in the post above yours,the Restore points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users