Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Photo Editor Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Marc2912

Marc2912

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:42 PM

Hi,

I'm running Vista, :-( and I just recently purchased a Canon Rebel XTi. I load my photo's directly through a card reader via USB onto my hard drive. I never had problems before with my other cameras with the files. If I try to open any of my old pictures by double clicking it opens Microsoft Photo Editor and loads the pics with no issues. If I try to open my new photos the same way photo editor tells me error reading file.

Now for technical stuff. No the files I am trying to load are not RAW format they are JPEG's.
Color representation is uncalibrated
compressed bits/pixel no data
EXIF version 0221
type JPEG
attributes A

Don't know what else you might need

Files will open with the windows photo gallery, right click, preview.

Don't know why the canon files would cause an issue, any help appreciated.

Thanks
Marc C.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

anyone???

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:38 AM

Which version of Office are you using? Did you install it using the compatibility mode - or just by double clicking on the setup icon (or autorun when you inserted the CD)?

I'd suggest either repairing Office - or uninstalling it and then reinstalling it using the compatibility mode. From a quick Google for it, there are problems with the installation - and Microsoft has discontinued Photo Editor, so it could be that that is an issue with the installation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:42 AM

I have an old version on office 97 but it is not from a corrupted install, I already looked down that path. This is only related to pictures from my canon XTi, no other files. Thanks for the try, do you know any other possibilities?

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:36 AM

Have you attempted to open these jpegs with another photo editor (for example, IrfanView)? This might eliminate the possibility that either the files are corrupt on the camera memory, or are corrupted during the download.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:00 AM

They open with any other program with no issue. Only the photo from this camera can't open with this program, everything else works. It opens all other files. Is there something different with JPEG's from canon cameras?

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:11 AM

I am far from expert in this area, but if the downloaded jpegs in question will open with another editor application, then the problem would seem to be with the particular application and not with the files themselves. Perhaps a more knowledgeable Member will provide additional help.
Regards,
John

#8 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:28 AM

Why would it only affect pictures taken by the XTi camera. Also, i resized file with photoshop and saved. Made no other changes. Now it opens with MS photo editor??? I'm lost and confused....

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

For example, the camera might have a slightly different way of saving the files and that slight bit of extra info may confuse a program (especially an older one like Photo Editor 97) that may not be capable of reading/using that extra info.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Marc2912

Marc2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Also shared this topic with photography-on-the-net forum and it turns out that it's not a file issue as much as a size issue. It looks like MS photo editor cannot handle large files. Actually they're not really large considering they're only 3.2mb but it seems to be too much for it to handle. If the files get resized by over half by PS but nothing else changed it opens but if I just resize them <5% then it still can't open. I have a couple people trying to see if they have the same issue but it looks like back in 97 MS didn't know how to deal with Large <3mb files, lol. Thanks everyone for the help.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for the update, and let us know how the experiments come out.
This information adds to the common stock of knowledge here, and could help another Member with the same or a similar problem.
John

#12 Les1429

Les1429

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

I came here from Google search. The post is old, but it's the newest one on the same subject, so I decided to add my 2 c.

I use Photo Editor almost exclusively for minor changes to the pictures. It (was ) the fastest and useful for what I do. Recently I got the same message. I Googled for help, came across some answers. I reinstalled PhotoEd, removed registry keys (a solution for not anough memory), still nothing.

Next, I followed the resaving of the file advice, and find out that the error shows only with pictures in landscape format. Portrait files opened OK. So, I rotated landscapes to portraits with Windows fax viewer, opened them with Photo Editor. It opened fine, so I rotated the file back to landscape, saved within PhotoEd, closed and opened again and got the same error.

Seems to me the suggestion that the camera is saving in some weird format (which I also found) is not right. If the file saved by PhotoEd cannot be opened by the software, there must be something preventing it.

My suspicion is on MS Publisher. I opened it shortly before and believe since then I've lost PE.

I run Registry Mechanic, but it shows no errors related to PE. Any suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users