Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server Not Found Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kaneshansley

kaneshansley

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:38 AM

Hello,

Hi. I had a new cable modem installed by my cable company on Friday. My laptop is connected to it and my two kids are on via a wireless router. My computer and my daughter's (both using XP) work fine. My son's, which has Vista, won't lot on to the internet. It says he's connected to the wireless network and the signal strength is strong, but he gets the "server not found" message whenever he tries to get on. He can use either Firefox or Explorer. Is there something he needs to reset on his computer? Could it be his Norton protection?

Thanks,

Karen

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 02 December 2007 - 08:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

Try disconnecting the computer from the router and connecting it directly to the modem, to see if the problem follows.

If web sites are now accessible, perhaps the troubleshooting should be done with the router settings.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 kaneshansley

kaneshansley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

Well, I don't know how to check the router settings but now the problem has moved to my daughter's computer. My son's started working (we don't know why) and they both worked for a while, then my daughter's stopped. When she tries to get online it says to check our internet connection.

She is using Windows XP and a Belkin USB adapter. If you click on network connections, it says she's connected, yet if you click on view wireless networks it says the wireless network can't be installed on her computer. To make matters worse, I accidentally uninstalled her adapter and now it's not being recognized, and we don't have the software to reinstall it.

Could it be the router and if so, why does my son's wireless work? They both go thru the wireless network thru my laptop which is connected to the cable and a Barricade router. All this trouble started when we got a new cable modem installed. We've tried turning everything on and off, and unplugging everything. Nothing works.

TIA for any help!

Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users