Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forum Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:40 AM

i entered this one forum that is a bogus forum i believe and was immediately unable to access that page anymore.

could they have my IP and be inside my computer... is that possible?

how would they make the page non existent within minutes after registration?

what harm if any could be done?

***i didnt enter any personal information just a simple login name and password

even if the forum was legit how could they make the page non existent or not accessible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:26 AM

You might have had your IP blocked.
Either you need a new IP or go through a proxy.

If you think you've been hacked there a tutorial I think that covers that area.

Check your processes. Does your PC feel slow, unresponsive, strange in any way.
The probability you've been hacked is probably barely existant and ask yourself, why would they.

#3 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:37 AM

how do you go about getting a new IP... i really dont think its been hacked... i got a lot of firewalls

nothing strange really but they sent me an email... from the site im pretty sure... how would it be possible for me to open this with no risk, or is that impossible?

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:15 AM

Depends if you got static or dynamic IP.
If you got dynamic, I think you need to have your PC plugged out/shut down for maybe 3 hours or something. That would be a guess, but it's something like that.

Have a look at
www.torproject.org
for a proxy solution. Be careful, this is not meant to be used together with sensitive operations on the net, like banking and so on.
Just forget about it, if you cannot set it up. It might be a little complicated.

You should run 1 software firewall with you router, if you got one of those. Not more than 1 software firewall. That's important. It's also important, that you don't turn that one off.

I'd be the wrong person to ask about mail, I practically receive no spam mail, honest. There might be something about it in the tutorials.

Hope that a bit of help. :thumbsup:

#5 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:43 AM

ok thanks a lot

why not more than one firewall?

never heard of that and yes i always keep them on

i run zonealarm and comodo

nothing strange really but they sent me an email... from the site im pretty sure... how would it be possible for me to open this with no risk, or is that impossible?

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:48 AM

why not more than one firewall?

There is no need to run more than 1 and the 2 of them might conflict.
I personnaly disable the windows one when I have Zonealarm installed.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:51 AM

Basic rule:
One software firewall
One Antivirus running in real time

If you run two of either, there's a good possibility they will conflict with one another, causing them to become less effective, or possibly rendering both, inoperable.
There's no advantage to running more than one, of each, and the risks involved, with having two crippled programs, far outweigh the benefits.

Save it to your harddisk, and scan it with your AV, before opening it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users