Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

S-video Connection To Tv

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Animalwg82

Animalwg82

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

I have a compaq laptop with Win XP home. I am trying to use my tv as an extra monitor connected via s-video. My background shows up on the tv but I cannot see the icons or anything else. I am doing this so I can watch my movies on my hard drive. Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:32 AM

I just set mine up last week to do this. The main thing I learnt was to plug in first then tv on then boot laptop. Not doing it this way gave me a B&W picture.
Your problem sounds like a display problem.
You can set the tv to be part of the laptop desktop or a clone of it.
In display settings there is the option to "extend my desktop" or "clone".
If you want all the icons to show on the tv you should have it set to clone.
This is in Vista (which I am still learning) and may not be worded exactly as I have said.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

Just noticed that you said you had WinXP so this might be different to do.
I haven't tried to hook up my desktop (that has XP) to the tv yet.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

there are usually setting to extend your desktop or clone it

try dragging something to the right, make sure you pull it back

you can pull a window playing an avi over to the TV that way
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users