Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

In A Bind Here, Got A Start-up Issue In Xp Pro...and A Meeting In 2 Hrs.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Hello again friends,
I'll be to the point:

HP a1100y XP Pro SP-2

My keyboard wasn't doing all it could do even after all the updates etc., I found an old (new) driver in my "downloads" from a while back that hadn't been installed yet (HP) but I recognized it because the very same driver fixed my kbd once before (suffered major crash 2 months back). I had DL'd but not installed is what I'm saying.

So I ran it and suddenly I "encountered a problem and needed to close", upon restart all I get is my wallpaper + tskmngr (but it wont start any new apps) which is only running 17 of the usual 30-34 processes.

I had my registry backed up, so I booted in Safe tried a restore, boot, and still nada.

Restored the System thrice now with same results & have no further restore points. I've attempted to restore any and all of my backups with the same thing = my baby doesn't wanna wake up.

The owner of my company is Skype-ing me from Singapore in a little while here any would sure like to have this resolved....

Pretty Please?
StarMicro.com will rip you off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 webwizard

webwizard

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

have you tried a different kbd? - or done the go online to look for driver when you plug in the keyboard...

update post when you can confirm

#3 webwizard

webwizard

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

you are in a rush, try a different keyboard for the duration of the meeting, then afterwards, myself and others who join the post can advise you
do a driver roll back for meeting duration

Edited by webwizard, 26 November 2007 - 06:59 PM.

#4 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Afraid I wasn't clear, I apologize :thumbsup:

My keyboard is working ok (the multimedia features I was attempting to repair are still not present however) it is my inability to completely boot-up that has me flabbergasted.

Driver was rolled back immediately in safe mode, however I believe the update I was attempting when I crashed never took. The system went down before it could install.

I'm currently conversing w/ you via my fossil of a laptop. Please forgive my inability to respond promptly.

The only clue I have left to impart is this: when the driver update began, a second before the crash, I received a quick alert from my firewall (Comodo) that disappeared before I could really read it - but it said something about a change in the registry (I think?)

#5 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:28 PM

It would seem apparent the kbd thingy messed up your system and it's still present. Try have a look in
start -> run -> msconfig.
See if you can disable it there at startup.
Do a google on it. Figure out if you got those registry entrys present.
http://www.file.net/process/kbd.exe.html
Tampering the registry is a sensitive process and could render your os inoperable, so do be VERY careful.
You gotta know, I do not have kbd on my system , so this advice derived entirely from trying to understand using google.

Besides that, I cannot see much alternative at this moment that repair install using the full windows install cd.

Well anyway best of luck. :thumbsup:

#6 Illuminaughty

Illuminaughty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

Thank you for your time and efforts,
much obliged.