Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Celeron D Vs Celeron

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

Is there a compatibility Issue. I have a MB I just ordered that supports Celeron D processors and DDR2 ram. I have a Celeron processor. Will it work? The MB is Biostar P4m900-M4

Processor:
Type : Intel Celeron
Internal Specification : Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.70GHz
Codename : Northwood
Revision : D1
Technology : 0.13µ
CPU ID : F.2.9
CPU IDEx : F.2.9
Brand ID : A
Microcode : MU0F292E

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 November 2007 - 04:46 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:58 PM

Have you checked the mb specs in more detail. Doesn't it say something about supported chipsets?

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the tip I Googled the chipset which is the VIA P4M900 and it states it supports the Celeron CPU. Phew I was afraid I may have to pay shipping and restocking fee :thumbsup: . Now I can upgrade to DDR2 Ram and a PCI-E graphics card. Then after the holidays.. Hello dual core processing.

Edit: I also looked for the differences between the two processors and it seems the Celeron D has Hyperthreading a faster FSB, and I think more Chache.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 26 November 2007 - 05:50 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

I was reading about L2 cache some time ago. Remember I was a bit surprised how much performance you could gain from a large cache.

When you go 64-bit, I don't think you'll feel much different if you do not run a 64-bit os.
I'd advice Windows x64. Check there is all the drivers before you go ahead. I'm running mine with the native mouse driver and it a pain.
When your on x64 things will really improve like moving files. 32-bit is gonna feel like ancient technology for you.

If celeron D the 1st generation 64'er, then I think you'd be better of with a core2duo.

Have fun with it. :thumbsup:

Edited by nightspydk, 26 November 2007 - 06:26 PM.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

I wasn't planning on going with a 64bit processor, But I am looking at the Phenom from AMD 4 cores and only 260 bucks.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users