Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Sp1 Oem Cd Complications

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

Hello all.

I recently found in storage an OLD OLD OLD PC of ours that I have decided to revamp just to have music on and have it hooked up to my receiver. That way I'll be able to listen to all my music in surround sound.

It's a 667 processor and only 64 meg of ram. Yes, it is a piece of junk...

I was trying to clean it up but after Norton stopped working and Adaware wouldn't even initialize (this computer was used by 2 rambunctious kids in its day).. and after Spybot found over 130 threats I decided it was time to start from scratch.

Unfortunately I didn't have any backup discs and only had my original Win XP OEM CD. I don't remember for the life of me how to use it. I set my BIOS to boot from the CD and that works fine but I am then presented with a command prompt window and nothing else.

I haven't found a command that will re-install XP. Maybe it's just Monday and I am just being an idiot, but I honestly can't figure out this thing.

Any suggestions?

Also, I have toyed with the idea of putting an older distro of Debian on the machine if anyone knows where I can find an old Linux distro that would work with such an old PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:19 PM

Is that OEM version of XP you have installed on another computer?
X

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:55 PM

64mb of memory? Xp won't run on it and I'm not sure of many Linux distros. Maybe Puppy Linux or DSL Linux. I'm not very familiar with all the versions. You'd be better off to post in the Linux forum
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 seedsofchaos

seedsofchaos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

Yeah it only had 64 meg and Win XP ran on it before. Sluggish. But it ran. lol

Found out my problem with the CD. Found that my OEM CD was a "Microsoft Windows XP OEM Preinstallation Kit"... not sure what all it's used for but it doesn't have the OS on the CD. It looks like documentation and random apps. Not sure if anyone knows the reason behind one of these bad boys... but apparently you can't install the OS from it. I did find my original Win XP CD and formatted my HD with it to prepare for Linux.

I appreciate the replies back. I put up the posting in the Linux/Unix forum too.

Right now I am going with Knoppix, so we'll see how that works.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users