Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling Download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 anthonyz

anthonyz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:21 AM

hello guys....my cousin has been messing up with the computer by downloading all those games...today things got worst where he infected the comp with some virus...in order to prevent it from happening again...is there any way to completely disable internet explorer from downloading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Create a separate account for your cousin, with restricted privileges, and password protect your Administrator accounts, so he can't get into them. to make changes.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 anthonyz

anthonyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:25 PM

I have discovered this,....is it reliable?

This configuration will disable the capability (Windows Internet explorer only) to download files from the internet. You will need to edit the registry editor (regedit) to accomplish this.

To change the settings, perform the following:
1. Open the registry editor (regedit) by clicking START menu, click on RUN, then type regedit to open the registry editor.
2. locate the following:
User Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zones\3
System Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zones\3
Value Name: 1803
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (change it to 0 to enable, 3 to disable)

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:06 PM

You may find this helpful: Types of user accounts.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

I have discovered this,....is it reliable?

Hi anthonyz,

I don't know enough about the registry to tell you whether or not that hack is reliable. My guess is that even if it is, it'll also disable your ability to download files.

However, and far more importantly, you really should NOT mess with your registry unless you have enough proficiency to know EXACTLY what you're doing. You could easily crash your computer and do a great deal of damage. (Please excuse the shouting, but making any kind of changes to your registry is a very serious matter.)

My best advice is that you follow the recommendations already given to you here by two very knowledgeable moderators.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users