Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too Many? In What Order?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bgorrah

bgorrah

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:40 AM

Once a week I use the following: Super Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster, AVG Anti-Rootkit, Zone Alarm, Avira Antivir PE Classic, CCleaner and PC On Point.

Am I being overly protective?

In what order should I follow for best results

Your advice and/or suggestions would be most welcome.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:49 AM

It depends on your internet habits. I expect you run IE. I think you need to make that assesment on your own. Do you find stuff weekly, that needs to be removed.
I'm not gonna tell you what I do, because I think I'd be banned from the site.
Have you tried firefox instead of Internet explorer. It is very easy to setup and offers far better protection.
In a week get back to me and tell what kind of protection then.

Zonealarm is that an anti-virus version.
Your software firewall needs to run 24/7.

Just my cents. :thumbsup:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:19 AM

Not being familiar with all of those programs, I'd like to stress that you should only have one antivirus running at a time and only one firewall running at a time.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:27 AM

nightspydk...I have used Mozilla Firefox for quite some time now.

I use Zone Alarm as my Firewall.

I understand that Firefox's Firewall is not very good and that was reason I went to Zone Alarm.

Thanks for your prompt reply

Posted Image
Systemax Venture SBM 3, Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1, Intel Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64 Bit O.S.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

Firefox doesn't have a firewall, bgorrah.
It's strictly a web browser, like Internet Explorer, except a lot more secure.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

How often you use anti-malware applications to scan your hard drive really depends, I would suggest, on your surfing and downloading habits, and the frequency these find malicious files. If, for example, you never go on-line without your firewall and Antivirus real time protection enabled, and if you do not visit potentially dangerous sites or download files without careful research, and if you use an alternative browser to IE, then I suggest the following that a weekly schedule should include a thorough scan by your Antivirus first, and by at least two of your Anti-spyware applications (the order of the latter is unimportant), with appropriate action taken after each scan.
I would avoid the use of registry cleaners entirely, as the benefits of their use are minimal, and the danger to your computer's ability to run are great.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:41 PM

Not being familiar with all of those programs, I'd like to stress that you should only have one antivirus running at a time and only one firewall running at a time.

John...I do have only one anti-virus and one firewall running at a time....Thanks
Posted Image

#8 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

Firefox doesn't have a firewall, bgorrah.
It's strictly a web browser, like Internet Explorer, except a lot more secure.

tq1911.....sorry, I thought I read someplace that Firefox's Firewall was almost useless and that's why I went to Zone Alarm Firewall.
Posted Image

#9 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:00 PM

How often you use anti-malware applications to scan your hard drive really depends, I would suggest, on your surfing and downloading habits, and the frequency these find malicious files. If, for example, you never go on-line without your firewall and Antivirus real time protection enabled, and if you do not visit potentially dangerous sites or download files without careful research, and if you use an alternative browser to IE, then I suggest the following that a weekly schedule should include a thorough scan by your Antivirus first, and by at least two of your Anti-spyware applications (the order of the latter is unimportant), with appropriate action taken after each scan.
I would avoid the use of registry cleaners entirely, as the benefits of their use are minimal, and the danger to your computer's ability to run are great.
Regards,
John

John.....As a 'Newbie" I understood your suggestions up to your last sentence where you mentioned registry cleaners. By that, do you mean that CCleaner and PC on Point are registry cleaners and should be avoided?
Posted Image

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,601 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

PC On Point is a Windows Registry Cleaner, Kernel32 DLL Error Message Fix & Access Violation Repair Software. Free PC scan that easily finds the cause of errors that result in computer problems, fixes corrupt files hidden in your PC and allows you to avoid reformatting and common reboot errors. Scan will identify errors related to missing startup programs, missing system fonts, invalid shortcuts, missing dll files, invalid application paths, invalid device drivers, missing file associations and missing help files.

http://www.pconpoint.com/

I never used this program but since it claims to be a Registry Cleaner, I would avoid using it.

CCleaner is a freeware PC optimization tool. It combines a system cleaner that removes unused and temporary files from your system and also a fully featured registry cleaner!

http://www.ccleaner.com/features

You can use the system Cleaner but avoid the Registry Scan for issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 bgorrah

bgorrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:26 AM

PC On Point is a Windows Registry Cleaner, Kernel32 DLL Error Message Fix & Access Violation Repair Software. Free PC scan that easily finds the cause of errors that result in computer problems, fixes corrupt files hidden in your PC and allows you to avoid reformatting and common reboot errors. Scan will identify errors related to missing startup programs, missing system fonts, invalid shortcuts, missing dll files, invalid application paths, invalid device drivers, missing file associations and missing help files.

http://www.pconpoint.com/

I never used this program but since it claims to be a Registry Cleaner, I would avoid using it.

CCleaner is a freeware PC optimization tool. It combines a system cleaner that removes unused and temporary files from your system and also a fully featured registry cleaner!

http://www.ccleaner.com/features

You can use the system Cleaner but avoid the Registry Scan for issues.

quietman7.....thank you so much for your detailed answer to my question. Being new I'm scared to death to go anywhere near the Registry and for that reason I have deleted/removed both PC On Point and CCleaner.
Posted Image

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,601 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:32 AM

Your welcome.

As I said though, its ok to use CCleaner's system cleaner to remove all the temp and junk files. Just stay away from the registry cleaner. If you need to learn more about CCleaner see these links:

CCleaner Tour: Using and Understanding CCleaner
Using CCleaner Demo
CCleaner FAQs

Another safe alternative for cleaning up your junk files is to download and use ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:58 AM

Don't forget, Bgorrah, there is the handy Windows Disk Cleanup tool (found in the Accessories folder in most Windows versions) that will allow you to safely remove unneeded and temporary files.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users