Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Access Software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 04:48 AM

My sister frequently experiences problems with her computer.I really wanted to be of help however , I hardly find ways on how to resolve her problems with her pc except using remote access software.Can someone advise me as to what remote access software to use , where to find and how to use it?Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:38 AM

hi,,,, try log me in,,,,, a software engineer at work told me about it, he uses it on our servers,,, i installed the free version on my pc's at home & can access them of any pc withan internet connection,,,,,here's a link to it
https://secure.logmein.com/home.asp?lang=en

hope this is what you wanted & good luck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,figgis
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:12 PM

There are many Remote Access software's available.
These depend on what you want to do on the machine you want to Remote.

* UltraVNC FREE
* RealVNC FREE/PAID (SOME ARE FREE AND SOME YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR)
* LogMeIn FREE/PAID (SOME ARE FREE AND SOME YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR)
* Symantec pcAnywhere PAID
* Here are many more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/104/remote-acc...e/products.html

Here is a range of Easy to Hard software's to use.
I would Recommend "RealVNC" as it is easy to use and FREE!

I hope this helps as I do have the same problem although we don't have family that needs help on their PC overbroad.

deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:23 AM

Thank you all for your fast and helpful replies. Ive decided to use logmein pro free version.After a series of repeated downloads, I could nt think of any reason why msi file does not run in this computer.A dialog box would appear and say it was not recognized windows installer package.Should I install some installer prior to installing this software?Please help ...thanks

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:54 AM

After I sent the previous post, I was able to run it .But then again , error message came out and said logmein couldnot connect to the server and that I was asked if I would want to set proxy.I clicked on no button for web access is done via dsl connection .Would it be okey figgis14
if you tell me the exact link of the free version that had worked for you or is there any link I may resort to due to failed installation?Thanks agen

#6 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:21 PM

What actually happened during the installation?
Can you send me some screenshots please to my email?

Here is the link for the free version: https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/get_logm...free/signup.asp
NOTE: You have to register to be able to install and access your PCs (It's all web based:D)
This should be what the interface looks like (although you will have PCs connected!)
Posted Image

I hope this helps!
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

Hi Yeth,,,, click on the link i posted then click on the DOWNLOAD LOG ME IN FREE which is in green half way down the page,,,, or better still click on Dean's link & it takes you to the same place,,,, register & download,,,,, then get your relation to download it to there pc using your login details but giving that machine a differant name,, then it pins its self to start up on both machines then just log in to that machine,,,,,,, here's another link that mite help you out,,,, half way down there some alternare downloads for the program if the main page one would not install,,,, there's also info on how it works

https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/faq.asp#basics-03

hope this helps good luck,,,,, figgis41
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:51 PM

Deanpcmad, I was trying to get the same interface.I would have had the same interface had not the installation failed.I would try this link you gave me.
Figgis41, I appreciate these alternatives you shared but I had tried them all.

After supplying my email account and clicking Next button, LogMein Installation Error showed up saying like..

The following error has occurred while registering with logmein.com:

A connection with the server could not established

This problem may be due to a proxy server on your network that Logmein Installer did not detect automatically.
Would you like to configure your proxy settings now?

Then I would click on no after which I had no choice but to cancel the installation.
Sorry if I could not provide the image , the insert image does not seem to cooperate with me :-)

Thanks to all!

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

its probley asking premition to allowed by your firewall,,,,, just incase create a restore point then download it again & click yes,,,,,,,, i did'nt have this prob as i use a router firewall & not a software one,,,,,,,
goodluck,,,,,,,,figgis41
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hey,

It must be a problem with your Firewall on your PC or on your Router.

What Firewall and Router do you have?

Thanks,
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

#11 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:11 AM

Thanks again for the reply. Actually the hd could be cause of this problem.my hd has just crashed two days ago.I used to have a problem with networking other pc maybe bec of this faulty harddrive.I needed it replaced immediately and as soon as I have it installed Ill get back to this issue.
I dont have any firewall be it sw or hw. I am planning to install software firewall when I get my new memory module.
Im using dsl modem/router via usb connection.
Again thanks for the idea.

#12 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

To figgis41 and deanpcmad , these are for you! :flowers: :thumbsup:

It was really the faulty harddrive a culprit... I can now access my pc remotely and am planning to add my sisters pc.Anyway, thanks again for these wonderful sharings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users