Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atf.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miles

Miles

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hi,

I was advised by a well respected local"Tech." that I should use ATF.EXE as a must in my anti malware artillery, utilities, etc.?

I run the following, security programs and Utils. now, and can't imagine adding much more?

AVG (AV)
Counterspy
Spybot S & D
AdAware 2007
A2
Spyware Blaster
Trojan Hunter
Spyhunter

Also, I do not use a internal or software Firewall, as I use a wired Linksys Router?

I have not had problems, not been easily removed in the past 2 years plus, with the above regime.

Plus I use several other programs to clean the hard drive, registry and defrag.

Vopt 8 as a Defragger, optimizer, and registry compactor.
System Mechanic by Iolo
Registry Booster 2 by Uniblue
Speedup My PC 3 " "

Do I really need Atf.exe? And would appreciate any advice, criticism, or opinion on my practices as listed above?

May be you guys have a suggestion for a must have Utility or Security Program that I should GET?

Is it that critical that I do not use a firewall to monitor what I might be sending out? The Router is good enough as an External Firewall for what is coming in as it changes my Ip adress dynamically, correct?

Should I really use a internal firewall like Zone Alarm too? I tried once and it gave e so many problems blocking my program use, inspite of my telling it which programs to allow?

I am a novice, although I have a 4 computer Home Network, with a Cable Ethernet Wired.
3 of the 4 computers run Win XP Home and 1 uses Win XP Pro.

Thank you very much for your support regarding this question on ATF as a necessity? And what you think about the other utilities? really appreciate your opinion and help!

Sincerely,

Miles

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Hello Miles,
atf.exe is generally considered an undesireable and to be removed
See
Startup List

CounterSpy

I would add SUPERAntispyware, free home version. Update weekly and prior to a scan.
Also unless it is no trouble to you, AdAware 2007 has been giving some folks trouble and remove it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Miles

Miles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hello Miles,
atf.exe is generally considered an undesireable and to be removed
See
Startup List

CounterSpy

I would add SUPERAntispyware, free home version. Update weekly and prior to a scan.
Also unless it is no trouble to you, AdAware 2007 has been giving some folks trouble and remove it.

Thank you for the reply and what a great board!! SuperAntispyware looks real good and AdAware 2007 has given me some trouble, unlike its predecessor AdAware SE. I will remove it

Sincerely,

Miles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users