Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Dropout Of Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Longy

Longy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:47 AM

I have a wireless network with three computers.

The Main computer houses most of the files that the other two access (via a mapped drive (N:)). This computer has the Wireless Access point connected.

The two 'workstations' are located together and have identical Wireless NIC's.

One workstation never loses it's mapping, while the other will drop the mapping intermittently. There is no difference in the software use and I can find no variations in the newtwork setup between them.

They both are reporting Good - Excellent connection.

How can I track down this fault? Any ideas !!

PS All computers are running XP Professional

Edited by Longy, 26 November 2007 - 01:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:43 PM

Did you create the mapped network drives via the command prompt or via Windows Explorer?

When setting up network drives in the office, we usually do so through the command prompt and set the persistent flag for these mapped drives. I am not sure if there is a way to set the persistent flag for mapped drives via Windows Explorer or if the persistent flag is implied.

I'd try a Disconnect of the N: drive via Windows Explorer. Then remap the network drive via the command prompt and set the persistent flag. The instructions are as follows:

| Start >> Run >> cmd.exe |

In the Command Prompt window, issue the following commands in the exact order as they appear (they are worded in correct syntax, eliminate pipes [ | ] ):

First command:

| net use n: \\servername\foldername |

After inputting the command text, press [ Enter ], the command prompt should indicate that the command completed successfully. The \\servername\foldername is the same information that you would have entered in the second text box as if you were entering the information via Tools >> Map Network Drive in Windows Explorer.

Second command:

| net use /persistent:yes |

After inputting the command text, press [ Enter ], the command prompt should indicate that the command completed successfully. This persistent switch will help to ensure that this network drive connection is re-established each time Windows is restarted.

Give it a whirl, post back if still having issues.

Next step would be to check into the Event Viewer for clues as to network connectivity being dropped, or the fileserver being unavailable to connect.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users