Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:00 AM
Hello, This is just a general question, the computer in question (5 years old) is for now out of service, awaiting tech support and has so far only been reformatted and XP Pro minus SP2 loaded on. It had, a hardware firewall (Linksys hardwired), a software firewall (ZoneAlarm) and the NOD32 antivirus running. It has 3 GB of Ram and 2 160GB harddrives and a clock speed of 2.53 Mhtz. I recently lost function of my USBs except for mouse and printer, see entry below under External devices...same dealio.
The sound card is SoundBlaster...the graphics ATI Radeon 850XT ...
I was using external drives during part of the past year. (Until they recently failed on that system.)
Here are the symptoms I noticed:
1. When I would add or delete a file from a folder, the change would not show until I 'refreshed' the folder.
2. When I would download a file, I often had the message: "the file already exists, overwrite"? and it wasn't previously there.
3. I had mouse fights...when the mouse would move in a distinctly different pattern, than the way I was moving it.
4. I quite often would find with taskmanager that there were two sessions of explorer.exe running.
5. I did use different desktops, logged off before switching between them...but often was told on shut down that another user was still on the system and I would cause them to lose data.
6. There were frequent period of complete loss of control over the system, a mini lockup period of perhaps 30 seconds to 1 minute when nothing would respond.
7. I had disabled popups from IE and through the ZoneAlarm, but soon they were reinstated.
8. I began to be warned from ZoneAlarm that "Msn.com was blocked from logging your keystrokes etc."
9. I found ports opened, ICMP outbound in particular.
10. In Administrative tools, services, I found remote access that I had disabled, re-enabled.
When I reported this to my software computer tech, he suspected I was victim of a rootkit and we reformatted and reinstalled the operating system. Within the matter of two weeks, as soon as I had reinstalled my programs...these incidents were beginning again. Then while backing up again to external drive, my USB capability crashed.
Was I being invaded by someone gaining access to control of my system? Or could this all be due to a five year old mobo going bad? I am feeling quite vulnerable and paranoid, please give me your opinions. Nan