Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zone Alarm Issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

Zone Alarm recently upgraded its free version and since ive used ZA (a couple of years now) i went with the latest version as well...

every now and again, with no regularity or rhyme or reason, i can not get online while its running. i use mozilla firefox and i get the mozilla pop-up window that says " firefox cant find the server...blah blah blah..."

disabling the firewall lets me right online. if it did it NEVER or ALL the time i could live with it (or just delete it) but this inconsistency is driving me nuts...

is there another good firewall i could use? im running XPpro...

d

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:58 PM

I have had 4 others with this same problem. Seems to be happening on wireless connections and Cable ISP. Does that fit your situation? I did a search and you are not alone, just have not found a fix for the problem with ZA. So these people have switched to the free Comodo and so far no complaints. You get more pop up warnings, even if you select to remember, it seems to ask some things again, but not real bad. Be sure to uninstall ZA first and here is a link :

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_...wall_d5033.html

If you use it let me know what you think.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

ltdave,
perhaps your setup in ZA is not complete. Could you list exactly what you have in the Zones tab of the Firewall section. Does it all match exactly what your ipconfig /all says?

If your DNS server(s), DHCP, local host and LAN aren't listed in the TRUSTED zone, it'll explain the occasional lost of connections. Also Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) needs 3 checks which includes SERVER rights in the TRUSTED zone and NOT in the internet zone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users