Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Won't Start Up...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FisticufsFred22

FisticufsFred22

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hi everyone, and first off thanks for your help ahead of time.

I've run into some trouble: I can't get my computer to start. I tried to turn it on, the fans and lights turned on for about a second or two then just shut off. I've done the following things that I can think of to try and figure out what it is:
  • Cleaned the case for dust (including processor heat sink)
  • Cleaned the PSU for dust
  • Made sure all connections were good
  • Tried a few different outlets
None of these things seemed to help. Also, when I was cleaning out my PSU, I noticed what I thought to be a burning smell. When I asked two of my friends to smell it, one said it was distinct, the other said it wasn't. So, I've narrowed it down to what I think it might be; 1) The PSU is blown. 2) The motherboard is blow 3) Both are blown.

I say the motherboard might be blown because if the PSU was toast, then wouldn't it just completely not work instead of work for about 2 seconds then shut off?

Thanks again for any help.

-Jake

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

I would say the first suspect is the power supply
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:46 PM

I would try the power supply first. I have seen them start yet still be defective. If you don't have a tester or know someone who does. You can buy them cheaper online than in stores. You just need to be sure you are getting the correct one. What is the make and model of your computer or is it custom built?

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

I totally agree. :thumbsup:
It can smell burned at first and then actually kind of erupt in fire or smoke, if you keep pressuring it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users