Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar Intruder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fantazos

fantazos

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

Suddenly I got notification of two Trojans attacking my computer and in an instant this uninvited, un-asked-for program started splashing on my desktop ready to prevent the malware .Without thoughtful checking I let it install itself and the troubles began.It is one of those programs that informs you that you have a host of spyware on your computer but to get rid of them you have to "register" and pay $39.99. I uninstalled the program -but the litlle shield of it is still flashing a warning in the right corner of the taskbar. I have tried to get it removed but I ran out of ideas how to get to it. When I look into taskbar menu it shows it,no name-but it does not kill it. So- my question is: how to kill it? When I click on it it send me to their website "VirusProtect". In It does not show up in msconfig.It pops a baloon of warning against viruses on my computer every 4 minutes and I have no idea how to kill it.
I am running WinXP pro.Let me know of some effective way to get at the beastie.

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 25 November 2007 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer

You should start here
How to remove VirusProtect or Virus Protect (Removal Instructions)

Next run SUPERAntiSpyware.
Open a from the link and download to desktop. Then open from desktop install and Update.
Uncheck the box "Start when Windows starts."
Configure by clicking Preferences,Scanning Control and Scanning Options.
Only check these 3
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
Close it now and reboot into safe Mode to run scan.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Now Open again, select scan of the root drive (usually C:\)
Perform a Complete scan
After Scan Click OK at the summary box. Click Next, See that all boxes are checked for Removal and click OK.
Click Finish,and say yes to reboot back to normal mode.

Let us know Thanks.
Note ,,Blue wording are info links
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 fantazos

fantazos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:00 AM

Well,it worked like magic! Thank you most kindly.I was drowning and you pulled me back on deck.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

You are welcome,happy to hear it.
Now to prevent accidental reinfection from a Restore Point,clear and make a new one.

To clear existing restore points

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.Click to add a check mark beside Turn off System Restore on all Drives, and click Apply.

3.When you are warned that all existing Restore Points will be deleted, click Yes to continue.

All system restore points are deleted. Now you should manually create a restore point.

1.Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2.Click Create a Restore Point, and then click Next.

3.Name your restore point. (I use the date as well as a descriptive term such as "After Restore Point Deletion.")
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users