Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Secuirty Concern

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moe_08

moe_08

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

hi

let me start off by admitting that i am completely and utterly ignorant when it comes to computer tech (i only use it for minimal purposes).. that being said, i have a couple of security concerns i would appreciate if any one give me some feedback on them...

i ve just bought a new computer.. after i installed the OS (win xp home sp2) i immediately installed kaspersky internet security 7.0... and then i had to update it so i connected to the Internet and KIS updates takes foreverand my connection was slow also.. so the computer was connected to the Internet for a very long time was no protection (or obsolete protection as KIS was updating)....

1- what are the security risks of connecting to the Internet BUT not doing any browsing or downloading except the KIS update definition files downloads...?

2- what are the security risks if i connect to the Internet (ie hook the ethernet ADSL cable coming from a router and have no antivirus suite installed.. but DONT DO ANY BROWSING or DOWNLOADING..... i had to connect to the Internet before i installed KIS so as to activate my OS from Microsoft?

also windows not updated until KIS finished (after a long time) then i ran windows update which took even LONGER time

N.B. i have been attacked before on a different computer but on the same network by an ip from china (i dont know the type but i think its the one that over traffic the Internet?!?)but KIS blocked it.. so i am concerned that this guy who might know my ip address, attack the new computer during the time where KIS was updating.. esp when the attack hit when i opened an email (spam) that had the subject of my financial advisor company name..

i will be using this computer to access sensitive financial online data.. and i am PARANOID about my safety and security online esp of the issues mentioned above.....
currently
i have windows updated ........KIS 7 running and updated with firewall to max... and that’s it…
before i start using it for sensitive online action.. i need to feel more protected.. i am still concerned about keyloggers, rootkit virus, trojans,...etc...

3-how to 100 % check that the computer was not infected by anything of anytype during the updates download?

4-how to add more protection for the future?

i am actually considering to write zeros to the WD 160 hard drive.. is that reasonable

please any feedback is immensely appreciated
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

Don't be overly paranoid. The internet is not that dangerous a place.

I'll give you some advice, but bear in mind, I'm not a security expert, I'm just a learn-by-doing-it yourself guy like you.

You can run perfectly safe without a router, but with a sensibel software firewall. Many will probably argue that point, but this I know for sure. It does demand a little bit of attention to how your PC performs and that you act with care on the net. I'm not saying you should bypass that router, it's just to give you an idea of the security risk.
It's a good idea to run a software firewall besides your router. It can limit the outgoing data flow to the net. Your router does not do that. This might help contain viruses to give you an excample.

If you have your pc connected to the internet without any firewall protection, there is a very good chance you'll be attacked and fast. You should have your protection setup before you connect.

About the rest of the post, I think you'll find it thoroughly covered in the tutorials. There are some very knowledgble ppl on this forum.

If you want my advice then.
1/ Get Kaspersky AV. Updating should be swift and there is 30 days trial. This in the best AV on the market.
2/ Get firefox and when you are uncertain, switch of javascript when you browse. Greatly decreases the chance of infektion, but might be needed to run some sites. Run IE along with firefox and bring that up, when you feel the need.
3/ For a software firewall ZA free or buy a full subsciption.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:36 PM

Paid version of ZA (ZA antispyware or ZA Pro or ZA suite) are more robust on the HIPS side. ZA AS normally goes for about $20. Kaspersky antivirus or NOD32 for antivirus are worth looking at (both cost real money). ZA suite is most expensive with antivirus included (current is Kaspersky), but I'd advise to pick components instead and ignore the suite.

Avira's AntiVir is a superb antivirus product and is free. Various places run tests, and it's right there with NOD32 and Kaspersky in terms of being very good. Those three look like they're the best of the bunch out there.

Internet IS a DANGEROUS PLACE unless you use a non-InternetExplorer browser (Opera, Firefox) and safe browsing.

Edited by tos226, 25 November 2007 - 10:33 PM.

#4 moe_08

moe_08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:04 AM

thank for your replies

I just realized that during the time i was updating kasper and windows (again it took a long time to update mean while the system was with no/obsolete protection)... another computer on the lan had a trojan virus in it.... what are the risks on my computer...

please note that i dont understand the mechanics of LAN,..etc.. all i know is that this other computer (the infected one) has an ethernet cable from the cpu to a d-link device that has multipe sockets for ethernet cable (where i plug my ethernet cable from new computer to it) and then there is another cable that goes from the d-link device to the router which is connected to my regular phone line....

and when i first ran KIS it said it detected a network connection and asked what to do i choose "internet in stealth mode"

i think it look like this

infected pc ---> d link switcher -----> router ---> splitter---> my regular phone line
my pc ---------> d link switcher -----> router ---> splitter---> my regular phone line

WHAT TO DO NOW?????????

i did a full scan ny KIS and it was clean

2- if you were in my shoes...
ie
-connected to the internet to activate windows and there was nothing running but windows firewall and other pc on the network had a trojan in it
- spent a LONG time updating KIS 7 before windows updates
- have a win xp sp2 home edition, KIS 7 ONLY

what would you do to use this system for online sensitive financial data access with a peacful mind? apart from things concerning browsing and downloading behaviour..

thanks

#5 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Staff Emeritus
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

If you would like to be sure your PC is clean, you can post a HJT Log so our HJT Team can check your computer.

Download HijackThis™ here:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/th.../hijackthis.php

Click 'Do a System Scan and Save log'. The HJT log will open in notepad. Don't try to fix anything yourself.

Copy and paste the contents of the HJT log into a NEW TOPIC in "HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Also include a link to this topic. Please be patient as our HJT team members work on serveral forums.

Also you can read the Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

You should be fairly safe if you only connected to the internet through your router and only did so to update your antivirus and install Windows security updates. The WindowsXP firewall would also have been on by default.
If you use you AV to do a thorough scan of your hard drives, and it finds nothing, then chances are that you were not infected. You may double check the results against one of the many on-line AV scans available.
You should, though, install at least two anti-spyware applications, update these, and have them scan your hard drive as well. Fortunately, there are several excellent and free AS available:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

I would also recommend using Firefox and Thunderbird, as these open source applications are inherently more secure than Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users