Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Pc Issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MacDiesel

MacDiesel

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:21 PM

I have an older Pentium 4 Gateway pc that has a wierd problem. When you power it on, once it starts to load windows it will power off. I tried goin in through safe mode and it powers off after trying to load the agp44.sys driver. I figured ok well it must have a software issue. I was just going to reload windows and be done with it, but it would not read my windows cd on boot up. It would check the drive and then continue on past. I did have the cd drive set to the first boot device. Anyway, I was in the bios for about ten minutes, and then exited and the pc booted right into windows and works fine. I can reboot multiple times and it works every time. When I power it off for the night I am back to windows not loading and powering off on its own, until I go into the bios so that the pc stays powered on for about ten minutes and then it boots all the way up and is fine again. It seems like something just needs to warm up and then it works. I think that is really odd and didn't know if anyone has seen this before, and what can be done about it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

That's very odd. What power supply do you have?
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#3 MacDiesel

MacDiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

300W if thats what you mean.

#4 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:46 PM

That's what I meant.
And what are your system specs?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:53 PM

When you go into the BIOS do you reset the date and time when you're in there? If the answer is yes, replace the CMOS battery
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 MacDiesel

MacDiesel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 03:56 PM

XP SP2
P4
256MB Ram

No I dont reset the time.

#7 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

Mother board, graphic card, processor?
Have you installed any hardware recently?

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:13 PM

well, before this issue happened, what was the last thing you did on the machine in question?

#9 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:11 AM

Here's a thought.
On some older p4 you need to install the motherboard agp driver for the pc to function. If that agp44 thingy is the one, that's responsible for windows hanging, I would look for an updated version on manufaturers site.

Also try google "agp44.sys".

Good luck. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users