Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cobian Backup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

I have never performed a backup on my system, but have been advised it is a good thing.
I read thru your article on the Cobian Backup + have some questions.
What in the world is a "G" drive?
Is it possible to backup to a CD instead so as not to take up any more room on my hard drive(?)
How often is it recommended to perform a backup?
A friend said I should purchase a USB external drive of at least 80GB.

I tried to do a backup once before, but my system wouldn't allow me to do so. I was using whatever is built into my system + I seem to recall it didn't accept any dates I enetered.

I would be willing to try the Cobian, but really need more guidance please.

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:44 PM

G drive is just another drive like you C drive. You can assign a drive any letter you want. If you had a USB multi-card reader, each different reader would be assigned it's own drive letter. You would be surprised how quick you would fill up a CD with your files. The better option would be the one your friend suggested
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

Without meaning to sound like a merchant of doom :thumbsup: , it is a simple fact of life that any hard drive can crash at any time so if there are some things on your computer that you really cannot afford to lose, you must back them up to another source or they could disappear forever. A CD will only hold 700MB which is not much these days but may be suitable for family photos etc. A DVD will hold 4.7GB, but you may need a few of them - another hard drive is the best way to go.

If you are going to use another hard drive (either internal or USB), then bigger is better but it should be at least as big as your C: drive.

Drive letters vary from PC to PC. Most computers have a C: (the one with the Operating System on it) drive, but after that you could have anything. Common ones are a Recovery Partition D:, CD/DVD E:, Card Readers F:, G:, H:, I:, J:, and if you plug in a USB Flash Drive it will have its own letter which will vary depending which machine you plug it into.

Sorry I can't advise you about Cobian (I use Acronis TI 10), but any backup is better than none. Remember to make a Restore point before you install or change anything on your computer, saves a heap of hassles.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 12:26 AM

I use Cobian, for backing up my personal Files.
I back it up to a partition, on my 500 GB external harddrive, in an uncompressed state.
I have Cobian set up to keep 3 copies, of my files, on that partition.
When I do a backup, it automatically overwrites the oldest of those 3 backups.

Cobian is easy to set up, and use.
You can set it to backup on a certain date, and time, or you can do it manually, any time you want.
It's easy to set it up to run several different backup tasks, such as backing up different types of files, into their own backup folders, or if there are more than one person using the computer, you can backup each users information into different folders.
Once you have your tasks set up, doing a backup is as easy as, clicking a button.

As far as how often to backup, that depends on how often you add new files, or add something that you can't afford to lose.
Personally, I do file backups every day, but I add a lot of files, and make a lot of changes, in a day.

I agree with the others, about using an external drive.
Harddrives are fairly cheap right now, so I'd get the biggest one you can afford.
If you have an empty drive bay in your computer, available, you could opt for another internal drive, instead of an external.

If you have any problems setting up Cobian, just post your questions in the forums, and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Like rowal5555, I also use Acronis True Image, but I just use it for imaging my OS, and primary drive.
For doing file backups, I prefer Cobian.
I find it easier to use, for that.
It's just a personal thing. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users