Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs Missing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KBT42

KBT42

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

A friend of mine bought an external hard drive because he needed more space. He moved a lot of folders over to it. (doesn't remember what, but I've seen My Documents, Program Files, and Windows folders in there amongst others) Now the computer has some programs missing or just inaccessible maybe. Some are missing from the start menu which has been completely rearranged. I tried to do a System restore, but that's gone from the Start Menu and I don't know how else to access it. Can someone please help? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

This is a peculiar situation.

You are asking for a way to run system restore to restore files/folders back to their original position on a different drive/partition.

I cannot say for sure, but I think that would be impossible.

Have you tried clicking the files and doing a undo move. If possible.
Top windows explorer. Edit -> undo move.

Besides that I think you need to undo that yourself, sorry. Try do a repair install of windows. This should restore windows functionality, but the apps that have gone, needs to be reinstalled from scratch.

Hope I understand you right and see what else folks here have to say. :thumbsup:

EDIT - Please RE-READ I'm writing complete rubbish. Sorry.

Edited by nightspydk, 25 November 2007 - 04:40 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:01 PM

I can only say that...moving program folders or the Windows folder...has probably broken needed links. Some system folders can be moved safely to an external drive. The Windows folder needs to be on the C: partition. Programs can be installed (not moved) to other than the C: partition, but I believe (for no particular reason) that Windows works best when programs are where it expects them to be.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/how_to_move_my_documents.htm

The only suggestion that I can offer is to move all folders back and then do a repair install of XP.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Data files (e.g. graphics, movies, documents, and such) should remain on the external drive with no problem.

Others may have different ideas :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 November 2007 - 06:02 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

Move all the files back to where they came from. Then cross your fingers and hope that nothing essential was changed while trying to fix it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users