Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out Sourced Network Solution

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 msc0421

msc0421

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

I need some help.

As the Chief of Staff for a mid-sized entertainment technology company, I've found myself in the unenviable position of trying to figure out our next moves as they relate to networking our company's computers. Here's the delimna:

Our people are often scattered around the country, but they need to communicate and manage customer relationships in an organized fashion with everyone in the company. The software solution I'd like to use is one I'm familiar with from the past: GoldMine. GoldMine's parent company Front Range has a new GoldMine product, iGoldMine Plus, out that allows simultaneous database use anywhere through a internet server-based application. The only catch for us is that iGoldMine Plus requires Microsoft Internet Information Services (ISS) server 5.0 or 6.0 and Server SP3 or higher or Windows Server 2003. I don't know what any of that means, but I know I want to use this software. I assume these things are operating systems that allow this whole operation to take place over the internet.

My question is this: Can we rent space on someone else's fancy high-end, secure servers, put these OS's along with the GoldMine software on their servers, and make this whole thing work over the internet without buying anymore hardware or creating an IT nightmare for ourselves?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

OK Windows 2003 is an operating system (the latest windows server OS). IIS is the web server that comes with Windows Servers; IIS 6 being the latest edition of it. What you can do is lease, essentially rent, a server from an Internet company, where they can install this software, setup the database, as well as possible manage the server going forward. Then your users can connect to this remotely through of variety of means to use the software, such as a VPN for a encrypted communication or via the web server.

My company actually offers these services, dedicated server rentals, and if you want to go into this in depth you can send me a private message here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...sg&CODE=4&MID=3

From there I will give you my contact information so we can talk more about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users