Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installer Service Fail To Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trodas

trodas

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:02 PM

Windows 2000 SP 4 here. After some tweakings and problems (including removal od some spyware and stuff) my Installer service can't be started. Hence, for example, installing anything is not possible. And, for example, FF can't use the M$ java, so...

Anyone know, what to do, beside reinstall, to make it working again?

The C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe /V file is here. The service is not disabled, it is on manual. However when in services I choose to start it, then in fail to and report that "service did not return any error", so it might be a Windows itself fault :thumbsup:

Damn. Anyone having some ideas, what to test?

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

Have you tried googling the installer, downloading it and run.
Simple solution. :thumbsup:
I expect you be careful and find it somewhere safe.
Do a search on the subject. There is also a thread in the xp section that covers this problem from yesterday I believe.
Remember those are fixes for XP not 2000 in that thread.

#3 trodas

trodas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:28 AM

I tried that, in fact, I did far more than that yet :huh:

I tried unregistering and reregistering msiexec:
msiexec /unreg
msiexec /regserver
Sadly no help either. So I tried installing the updated installer ( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en ), sadly no help either. Then I tried the unreg/reg trick again, just to be sure and it's still not helping...

So I fired up FileMon to watch what is going on when I try start the Installer service and the results are only 3 problems:

313 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 OPEN C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe.Local NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

336 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 OPEN C:\WINNT\system32\Program\picture.exe PATH NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

363 11:46:36 msiexec.exe:776 QUERY SECURITY C:\WINNT\Installer INVALID DEVICE REQUEST

INVALID DEVICE REQUEST?! :thumbsup:

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users