Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Crashes/restarts

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cougarelite

cougarelite

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

Hey,

My computer randomly crashes at pretty much random times while it's on. I got it from my brother, and when I got it it was doing the same thing. Then I reformatted it and installed Windows XP, and it still does it. It's so weird because it's totally unpredictable when it happens. Every couple times I start up my computer, it will happen right away, before I even get the XP welcome screen. It shows some weird green screen with a bunch of squares, and just freezes at that. All I can do is restart it to get it going again. Another common time is when I'm in a game or something. It'll start up fine, but then when I click something like Play Game or Options it'll just go to a black screen and restart. I really have no idea what it could be. I'm going to take a picture of the screen the next time that green screen comes up. Oh and I tried installing SpeedFan and it says the temperatures are fine so I don't think that's it. My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
1 GB RAM
GeForce 5700 LE 256 MB
Asus K8V-SE Deluxe motherboard

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

Tried updating the video drivers?

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Try reviewing Event Viewer for clues?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:52 PM

The latest nVidia drivers for your video card are here (32 bit): http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

If I may be so bold as to ad to usasma's post. It is a good idea to remove the old driver before you install a new. It's the recommended procedure by ATI,nvidia.

You get 'Driver cleaner pro'.
-Inside windows you use the 'add/remove feature to uninstall your old driver.
-You reboot in safe mode.
-Run driver cleaner pro and run the cab cleaner. That's important, but read the text that should accompany the utility about what you need to do.
-Reboot normally and cancel out all windows detect new hardware stuff.
-Install your new driver.

It really can be a very good idea, since parts of the old driver will be left on disk, if you just install.

quote:myself. :thumbsup:

#5 cougarelite

cougarelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:54 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I installed the new driver. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if the problem continues.

#6 cougarelite

cougarelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Well I started up my computer a couple minutes ago, and again, the same problem. It was some weird coloured screen with a square in the middle. I had to restart to get into Windows. Any more ideas?

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:10 PM

A bad HD caused my computer to spontaneously reboot. Sometimes while running programs, other times at startup. It got more frequent and finally hosed some system files. When I got a new drive, I was still able to copy all of my files off of the bad drive before I turned it into a cool paperweight.

#8 cougarelite

cougarelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

A bad HD caused my computer to spontaneously reboot. Sometimes while running programs, other times at startup. It got more frequent and finally hosed some system files. When I got a new drive, I was still able to copy all of my files off of the bad drive before I turned it into a cool paperweight.

I guess if it comes to this I'll have to do the same. Anyone have any possible fixes before I spend any money?

Thanks

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:45 PM

After reading all of your comments...and suggestions offered...I'm just curious what you are going to spend this money on, since it seems that you haven't accepted any diagnosis that was offered...and you haven't done a clean install...and you haven't even narrowed "the problem".

A new system? And what happens if the new system ends up like the current one...what will be wrong then?

Oh, well...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#10 cougarelite

cougarelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:50 PM

After reading all of your comments...and suggestions offered...I'm just curious what you are going to spend this money on, since it seems that you haven't accepted any diagnosis that was offered...and you haven't done a clean install...and you haven't even narrowed "the problem".

A new system? And what happens if the new system ends up like the current one...what will be wrong then?

Oh, well...

Louis

Yeah you're right. I don't really have any idea what to do. I've tried reformatting reinstalling Windows XP, and the problem persists, so does this mean it's a hardware problem? How can I figure out what the problem is?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:56 PM

Whenever you are seriously ready to take actions to find out what the problem is...someone will provide needed direction.

I'll start with...read the link provided on Event Viewer. Then (and only then) provide us with the last 4/5 errors noted in your EV.

If you can correlate an error in EV with a crash, that would be excellent.

This thread started with what you described as an obvious video driver problem. Well, maybe your description misled some of us and there's more wrong with this system than any video driver can be blamed for.

Louis

#12 cougarelite

cougarelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

Whenever you are seriously ready to take actions to find out what the problem is...someone will provide needed direction.

I'll start with...read the link provided on Event Viewer. Then (and only then) provide us with the last 4/5 errors noted in your EV.

If you can correlate an error in EV with a crash, that would be excellent.

This thread started with what you described as an obvious video driver problem. Well, maybe your description misled some of us and there's more wrong with this system than any video driver can be blamed for.

Louis

I am looking at the Event Viewer right now. None of the errors seem to correlate with the crashes, which is disappointing, but here they are:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf06c020, parameter3 f6eb7b3c, parameter4 00000000.
Category (102) Event ID: 1003

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf06c020, parameter3 b8de3b3c, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 100000ea, parameter1 862aada8, parameter2 862db3b8, parameter3 f7a3fcb4, parameter4 00000001.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf06d867, parameter3 ee16fb40, parameter4 00000000.

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf06d867, parameter3 f4eb1b40, parameter4 00000000.

So that's the 5 most recent. Does this indicate anything?

#13 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:02 PM

Sounds like a hardware incompatibility problem. Could be an ethernet card or some other hardware. Might fix it by updating drivers if you could find out which device it is.

#14 cougarelite

cougarelite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:09 PM

Sounds like a hardware incompatibility problem. Could be an ethernet card or some other hardware. Might fix it by updating drivers if you could find out which device it is.

Thanks for the tip. Is there any software or anything that can tell me this? In the Device Manager, the only one coming up as not having a driver is the RAID controller. I'm going to look for this, but could that have this effect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users