Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Seems To Freeze At Unexpected Moments.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sandbombmoh

sandbombmoh

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

I don't exactly know what the cause is. But my Computer seems to freeze unexpectadly. It started A while ago when I started Using FL Studio. When I'd Go on it sometimes-it would freeze. I thought this had something to do with C.P.U. Uptake being high. So I used FL. Studio Less and less. One time, after I bought a Midi keyboard and installed it-My P.C. started freezing unexpectedly. And seems to be most common when I use the last 2 USB slots on my system, none the less-it keeps freezing. It used to freeze alot until I opened it up and cleaned the insides, so It freezes less (maybe about 3-4 times a day).

I tried running Bitdefender scan-and it froze during that-so I had to restart the System-and when It rebooted-I couldn't access my harddrives through My Computer-So I have to type The Path of the Drive (ex. C: or D:) in the address bar. Also-I cannot Unhide files that I've hidden before-So when I got to Folder options to unhide them and press Ok-nothing happens- and when I go back to folder options-the setting is back on "keep files hidden". Also-after that incident-I haven noticed that WMP doesn't show the visualisations or any of the GUI that's located in the box-The Play, stop, file, view etc are still there though.

I use a Pentium 4 (3.4 GHZ) computer with 1GB of Ram and I have 2 internal hardrives (one 40 and and the other 80) 2 200 GB externals-and a new drive I just got off a friend and plugged into my computer before the problems seriously arose.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

You do any maintenance on this system (chkdsk, defrag)?

Error messages received are important. If the flashing, momentary kind they should be written down when they appear; if the recurring kind, the easy thing to do is to use Google to try to get a handle on the exposure, possible alternatives, etc.

You can also check Event Viewer for errors, What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Posting the above info would be helpful.

Louis

#3 sandbombmoh

sandbombmoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

39070048 KB total disk space.
32703052 KB in 73996 files.
31296 KB in 5208 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
277100 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
6058600 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
1514650 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>

-That is what I got from CHKDSK
- and I also defragmented my C: drive (which I haven't done since i started using the computer this summer) =/

It's the kind of freeze where everything freezes and I have to Switch the power off from the socket (I can't restart by pushing the reboot button)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

You ran chkdsk in read-only mode, which is pointless :thumbsup:.

Try running it in accordance with MS directions for running it from My Computer/Explorer: How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

#5 sandbombmoh

sandbombmoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:30 PM

I ran dskchk again and nothing seems to be fixed-except that It hasn't frozen yet, but that might be likely to change-everything else is still the same though.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:59 AM

A repair install would be my suggestion for a number of problems exhibited by a system...which cannot be traced to hardware.

And...the freezes were the main thrust of this thread, I believe.

Looked in Event Viewer...or read that link...yet?

Louis

#7 sandbombmoh

sandbombmoh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:32 AM

my computer froze today right after I plugged in my midi Keyboard in a short while-after I rebooted, it froze again right after I signed on for a while. I checked event viewer and in the systems node-there was an error- and when I clicked for it's description, it displayed this:

The CLCV0 service failed to start due to the following error:
CLCV0 is not a valid Win32 application.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and Leo doesn't seem to be coming up with anything.
I'm under a suspicion that the problem might be traced back to my Power Supply-I think that perhaps all the plugins and the computer exerting power might be causing the computer's power supply unit to freeze or something of that sort, what do you think?

#8 shaunc

shaunc

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 08:35 AM

My computer is also hanging with same sort of symptoms. I also get:

The CLCV0 service failed to start due to the following error:
CLCV0 is not a valid Win32 application.

I'm using a Lenovo T60p with 3GB ram, dual core processor.

I'm wondering, what does CLCV0 do? Could this be a red herring? My other bet was that this was an overheating problem (perhaps computer is dusty on inside).

Thanks in advance for any insight.

- Shaun

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:34 AM

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

I would look for related errors and the detail of such.

Louis

#10 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Ever think of disabling that service? Something like the UTSCSI/CLCV0 Service? Also that seems to be part of a virus. I guess you have antivirus protection. Maybe you should learn about generating an HJT log and post that in the HJT support forum

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:48 AM

Do you have any USBest software on your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users