Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98se Users; Which Free Av Program Do You Use?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:54 AM

assuming you have read and taken note of this from avg

avg unsupports win 98se

which FREE antivirus program do YOU use on your win 98se computer please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

I could be wrong but I do not believe that AVG will stop working with 98\ME\NT, rather AVG will only stop resolving technical issues pertaining to those operating systems. I have one ME and one 98se computer left and I run AVG 7.5 on both of them. I plan on keeping AVG as long as the product is compatible with them.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

AVG is not pulling support until August 2008. That is quite a ways away yet.
As Acklan points out, what do they mean by support?
As long as it can get the updates the product will still function.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

Remember also that Microsoft pulled support for Win98 about three years ago now.
When was the last time you called them for tech support? Never, right!
Lots of resources available here

There are millions of people, myself included, that are still running Windows 98 almost 10 years later.

I wonder why they are?

Simple.
Windows 98 has proven the test of time.
98 is small and stable. About 340 meg for the install. Compared to Vista 8.4 gig! WHEW!
Low on system resources. Works on almost any computer.
Does anything (almost) that you would ever want.

My system dual boots 98 & XP.
I intend to run 98 as long as I can
I love 98 because of it's simplicty
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

Yes I've used AVG on my Win98SE for the last six months without any problems. In fact it far better than the McAfee 6.0 I used to run. It found a virus in a zip file that I've used for years. But I never executed the exe, never needed to.

Off Topic
On Saturday I installed WinME. It installed in no problem but wouldn't run for the first time. It came up with a Browsei.dll error, it suggested a restart to clear the error. Everytime I rstarted I got the same error, as soon as you click on the desktop. I was impressed so Win98 when back. On Sunday I thought I would give it ome more go. It went in and ran ok apart from the occational Rundll error when it needs to restart. But AVG runs fine as it did on Win98.

Anyway I've always download my AVG from FileHippo as well as other useful software. There are loads of versions you can choose from. I download the newest version last week. :thumbsup:

People say Win98 is an old OS and not very stable. Yes its old but I've always found it stable apart from IE6.0 crashing occationally. But thats a software problem not an OS problem. I bought WinXP a 3 years ago. Installed it no problem, tried it for a week, didn't like it so Win98 went back. I tried to put WinXP in a year ago but it would even start the installation only the DOS blue screen of death. Nothing as changed on my comp since the first time. I've posted this problem in the WinXP forum but no one could help.

Edited by Keithuk, 26 November 2007 - 08:12 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

I use Avast on my WindowsME, so far it's been OK... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users