Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gotts123

gotts123

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

Hi,

My windows installer has recently stopped working, I can no longer install or uninstall programs that use this application to do this. The problem came up when trying to reinstall a printer that had stopped working all of a sudden.

It says I have installed service pack 2, but I am not sure if it is working fully. Whenever I try to reinstall Windows Installer i get the error:
"KB893803v2 Setup Error
Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the cryptographic service is running on this computer"

and the cryptographic service is running. I then tried running "xp_cryptofix.vbs" and I got the error:
"Script: C:\Documents and Settings\Rob\Desktop\xp_cryptofix.vbs
Line: 20
Char: 1
Error: Permission denied
Code: 800A0046
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error"

Other fixes that I have tried by microsoft haven't worked or one of the steps doesn't work for me. Does anyone know of anyway to fix this problem; I have been without a printer for about 8 months now and I haven't been able to update or install anything.

Thanks ahead of time,

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

Hi gotts123, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Other people reporting this problem have been able to solve it by resetting the permissions for the HK_Classes_Root hive of their system Registry. Don't worry, I'll walk you through it.

Note: The following includes editing the system registry. You should not tamper with the registry unless you know what you are doing! Improper modification to the registry can easily render a computer inoperative. You should back up your registry/make a System Restore point before making any changes.

Now, first thigs first, open the registry editor by clicking on Start then on Run.... In the Run dialogue box, type regedit and click OK.

Now, refer to figure 1. Note where the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder is. It should be in the same position in your registry.

Fig.1
Posted Image

Right click on the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder and click on Permissions as in Figure 2:

Fig. 2
Posted Image

This will launch the Permissions Window as seen in Figure 3. Click on Administrators, and make sure that there is a check mark next to Full Control in the Allow column, just like in Fig.3:

Fig.3
Posted Image

Then click Apply, followed by OK.
Reboot and attempt to install Windows Installer again.

If any of this is unclear or confusing or you have any questions, please post them.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:33 AM

If Amazing Andrew's fix doesn't work you can try this free utility to re-register the Windows Installer: Dial-a-fix
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 trodas

trodas

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 26 November 2007 - 06:44 AM

I having some problems with the Installer service on my own, but on Win2k, yet I tried take a look at the Dial-a-fix utility and I must say it helped me with my other problem - my windows positions are NO remembered before. It found out that there was set some nasty limitations (probably by spyware), witch caused these settings are NOT remembered.
Well, not anymore. Dial-a-fix helped me greatly! (sadly not with the Installer issue I facing there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/118218/installer-service-fail-to-start/ ) but as help it is very good!

Thanks, Budapest!

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

#5 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:41 PM

Ok so the first thing didn't work, and now all of my desktop items, and my tray/start menu are no longer visible upon a regular start. Everything still works in safe mode...I have tried dial-a-fix and that didn't work either...any other solutions?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:55 PM

Assuming that malware is not an issue...a repair install should solve it. File corruption, missing files, etc...a repair corrects problems that can truly be laid at the door of the O/S.

If malware is an issue, that needs to be taken care of.

Louis

#7 gotts123

gotts123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

What's the best way to remove malware or find out if you have it?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:53 AM

You should start by running some antivirus and antispyware scans. You could also run some online scans, such as:

HouseCall
BitDefender
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users