Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

(continuation from "BIG MESS" below)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_screwworm_*

Guest_screwworm_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:24 PM

OK, after spending many hours sitting at my computer trying every conceivable tinkering and combinations to try and solve the riddle related to my internet explorer(remember I had deleted the icon from desktop and tried to delete the program itself with "add/remove" button from programs in control panel...with no success...however it did disappear from the list of programs(after the start-up button).

Anyway, I thought I should delete it in order to reinstall it. And, I did go to several sites from which I did download IE6 again. Hell, I downloaded into program files and also into my document folder. I then, ran the setups from those downloads. But, each time that I went back to the control panel/IE/add/remove button/ and selected "repair" I contined to get that same damn message."Internet explorer 6 could not be repaired. Please run set-up again to reinstall all components"....which as stated I kept doing. I tried to do an upgrade on the IE and also ran the "install browser only"from juno CD. Then, I kept gettting the message, "the current version of IE installed on the computer is up to date. Do not need to upgrade at this time".

So, whats a poor boychek to do with such conflict and frustration. I went insane,of course. It helped a great deal. Now, I began to suspect that my computer was lying to me. I went back and clicked the add/remove button inside the add/remove component of control panel once more. Then, as between the selections of "repair" and "add", I chose "add" which brought up component options to install. ALTHOUGH THIS TIME I DIDNT BELIEVE THE COMPUTER WHEN IT SAID THE BOLD TYPE REPRESENTED COMPONENTS ALREADY INSTALLED. I chose to install several of the main components anyway.

I restarted computer and lo and behold the IE icon was back and I went to "add/remove" again in control panel and ,this time, after I selected "repair", It ran the damn thing. I thought I heard bells ringing throughout the city. I felt like edison(after he invented electric bills)....felt like shouting "EUREKA".

However, my computer is still full of problems - as determined by registry mechanic and another cleaner. But one of these problems must be keeping me from being able to purchase their product to fix those problems because when I punch the "pay now" button I get the "windows cannot display this page". Now then, who among you can provide me with advice on this final leg to salvation??? Advise ASAP please.

PS: I do hope the above tale adds to cumulative knowledge of this site.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,400 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:20 PM

Are you using a proxy server on the computer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users