Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Variety Of Issues, Yet They Seem To Be In Common

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

Sony Vaio Laptop running XP Home Edition.

I've done a lot of maintenance lately -- MS Updates; major clean up of files; ran utilities to clean out garbage and old/invalid registry entries -- and overall it's been running great with a marked improvement in performance and speed. Frankly, I've done so much that it'd be hard to provide a "blow by blow."

About 4-5 days ago I installed and ran CCleaner, which seems to be a good program. Much of what it found on the Windows/Applications side was obvious junk and I deleted all that. The Registry fix function I was a bit leary of, having past experience with other cleaners screwing things up, but have run that a few times. Initially, I went item by item as there was too much stuff to deal with, so I selected and fixed the more obvious. Later, as the list whittled down, I let it fix everything. I'm not saying that program necessarily resulted in what's happening now, but I'm at a loss to figure out what the problem is or what started it.

Here's what's been happening, bearing in mind that my mouse is set to "double click open:"
  • Click on a file in explorer to drag/move it to another exp window, and it opens the file. After a lot of diddling around it might finally cooperate, but often even when you can move it, you often don't get the little option menu to "move or copy." And for any chance at this, you have to do it VERY fast. Other times, menu's will flash by as you're dragging the file to the other window. Worse, it'll sometimes drop the file in an entirely different folder, and then you have to go on a treasure hunt to find it. This has happened so many times now I'm getting paranoid about moving anything.

• Click on a desktop icon to drag/move it to another location on the desktop, and it opens the program. This is if you left click +hold as normal. Now I have to click fast and release, then grab it to move. Even then it will sometimes open the program after I've moved the icon.

• Selecting text to format a font, delete text, add bullets, etc. has become a major pain, and is definitely not working like normal. All too often it grabs and moves the text (or parts of it), so you really have to watch every little thing or your document is screwed up. Even if you are watching closely, this is all very time consuming and slooow now, having a major impact on productivity. Just getting it to select what you actually want is painstaking and beyond frustrating.

• Click on an explorer window to grab and move it around, and it opens full screen. This is especially annoying when want two of them side by side to drag 'n drop files. Only after a few rounds of this, or after first clicking somewhere below the title bar, can you finally drag it without it opening full screen.

• Everything works blindingly fast, like this things on steroids. Example: Say you have an Outlook email open full screen, and click the X box to close it. This thing is SO fast, it'll not only close the email, but the program sitting right behind it! Only if you click REAL fast will it close just the email.

• Click on a Menu, and it'll open and close in a less than an eye blink. Click on an item in the Task Bar, it shoots into view and back to minimized, again very quickly.

• In the Recycle Bin, I used to Ctrl +click to select what I wanted to delete at the time. Now, after picking a few items, it'll open the Properties dialogue box arbitrarily. Again, time consuming and frustrating.

• In explorer I used to easily drag the "Size, Name, or Type" headers around to see more information when needed. Now, even tho' I'm right on the little vertical divider, it'll often sort them instead of resizing the view. This can happen in any window that has those view options.
These are some of the issues, and I'm perplexed as to what's causing them. I'm using a Logitech Cordless mouse; uninstalled SetPoint software, reinstalled and then updated it earlier today. Ran SFC /scannow and ChkDsk today too. One or both of those fixed some things (haven't found the log ChkDsk created), like the Menus are now behaving normally. Also, before if I clicked on Int Exp in Quick Launch, it was launching TWO of them...unless I clicked as rapidly and lightly as possible. In some respects, it's almost like I've got this thing running TOO fast -- the opposite of most peoples problems.

My gut tells me it's not the mouse itself, though I'm not ruling that out by any means, especially because all the issues do center on involving the mouse. Yet, it may be some Registry setting or something related to how the mouse interacts with the system - not a defective mouse itself or the SetPoint software. Just had a thought: Buried in a box somewhere I've got an old MS wired mouse, which I'm going to find and see if the problem persists.

Any suggestions as to what else to try would be greatly appreciated, as I've got some major projects to work on today & tomorrow, and this is driving me crazy.
:thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 25 November 2007 - 02:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:21 AM

I dug out that old MS wired mouse, but it's got that old school plug on it and I don't have a USB adapter to make it work.

I tried some else, which seems to have rectified "some" of the problems, but not all of them. Recently I bought a 500GB SimpleTech external HD, which was plugged into the USB port next to the dongle for the Logitech mouse. I switched the two positions, and can now grab and move explorer windows around w/o them going full screen as soon as I clicked on the title bar. I can also resize them now. Before I'd grab an edge and it sometimes wouldn't let me resize the thing. This also seems to have fixed the problem with trying to resize the view of "Name, Size, Type, Date Modified" too, as they can be dragged open or more closed. The Recyle bin issue seems to be resolved too.

The quirk with highlighting text "appears" to be somewhat better, but still touchy. This is a big deal to me, as I type and edit a LOT, and am used to ripping thru the process without having this technical BS being the focus. I'm spending more time watching to see if it dragged text (parts of words, sentences, or paragraphs) to where they shouldn't be, and trying to use work-arounds. One thing that seems to work - tho' is an extra step, and I almost have to "unlearn" what I've done for many years - is to click once where I want to begin editing, which gets the cursor there, then click again and highlight the text I want. An extra step, times many instances, and something I have to conciously do.

The problem of having desktop icons open when you go to move them seems significantly less, tho' CCleaner opened intermittently when tested.

If I right click on a file and hold it, the menu pops up, literally flickers it's so fast...as many as 7-8 times a second. Drag and drop is definitely not working like normal, and I like the option of moving the file or copying it, again without worrying about where the hell it's going to end up, or if it'll take 10 attempts to accomplish what should be a simple task. Curiously enough, once in a while it works normally, but that's rarely.

Failed to mention in my initial post, that I'd run a full system scan with NOD32 and also with Ad-Aware earlier today. Ran AA first and it found the Win32Backdoor.Agent, which I removed. A few days back I was going thru several data discs from 3-4 yrs back, transferring them to my ext HD and NOD picked off multiple viruses on them. Not sure if the one above got thru or what. The next day I was on a torrent site and NOD stopped the connection due to "multiple infiltrations."

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 12:47 AM

It sounds like you may still be infected. Try updating your programs and then run your scans in safe mode. Because of the limited amount of applications open in safe mode you will have a much better chance of getting rid of infections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:12 AM

It sounds like you may still be infected. Try updating your programs and then run your scans in safe mode. Because of the limited amount of applications open in safe mode you will have a much better chance of getting rid of infections.

Thanks, that's a good idea running in SafeMode. Was thinking I might still be infected too, given the quirky, intermittent behavior, and because that trojan is a particularly nasty one.** It just takes ssooo long to scan everything, I'll have to let it run over night. Guess I'll use Nod32 rather than AdAware (a free version), tho' wouldn't mind letting AA run in SafeMode too.

Nod has a new version out with a firewall, improved GUI, and some tools; I may look into upgrading depending on cost. I'm wireless w/ a router, so don't really need a firewall everyone says -- yet I've had Windows firewall turned on since I dumped all my Norton stuff and went w/ Nod 2-3 months back, and always had Nortons firewall up.

Dang, the system's supposed to be the tool, not the job itself! :thumbsup:

Some details on Win32.Backdoor.Agent:
**High risks are typically installed without user interaction through security exploits, and can severely compromise system security. Such risks may open illicit network connections, use polymorphic tactics to self-mutate, disable security software, modify system files, and install additional malware. These risks may also collect and transmit personally identifiable information (PII) without your consent and severely degrade the performance and stability of your computer.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:39 AM

I would run the Ad-Aware as well, you can't depend of one utility to find all of the different types of infections out there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 NorCal_Mike

NorCal_Mike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

I see this post was moved to "the virus" section, yet the problem wasn't due any infection. I ran an in-depth, full system scan overnight on all drives, after upgrading Nod32 to the newest version (3.0), and it turned up nothing. Neither did Ad-Aware. Clean as a whistle!

Today while out running errands, I realized I was near my office and had the identical mouse there, one that hasn't seen nearly the use as the one here at home. Switched them out and voila! Problem solved. I suppose it's possible that the left and right click buttons were getting worn out, tho' I've never had that happen with all the mice I've owned, all of which saw a TON of use. These seemed to function just fine until only last week. Will take it to the office tomorrow and see whether it works or exhibits the same behavior.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users