I've done a lot of maintenance lately -- MS Updates; major clean up of files; ran utilities to clean out garbage and old/invalid registry entries -- and overall it's been running great with a marked improvement in performance and speed. Frankly, I've done so much that it'd be hard to provide a "blow by blow."
About 4-5 days ago I installed and ran CCleaner, which seems to be a good program. Much of what it found on the Windows/Applications side was obvious junk and I deleted all that. The Registry fix function I was a bit leary of, having past experience with other cleaners screwing things up, but have run that a few times. Initially, I went item by item as there was too much stuff to deal with, so I selected and fixed the more obvious. Later, as the list whittled down, I let it fix everything. I'm not saying that program necessarily resulted in what's happening now, but I'm at a loss to figure out what the problem is or what started it.
Here's what's been happening, bearing in mind that my mouse is set to "double click open:"
- Click on a file in explorer to drag/move it to another exp window, and it opens the file. After a lot of diddling around it might finally cooperate, but often even when you can move it, you often don't get the little option menu to "move or copy." And for any chance at this, you have to do it VERY fast. Other times, menu's will flash by as you're dragging the file to the other window. Worse, it'll sometimes drop the file in an entirely different folder, and then you have to go on a treasure hunt to find it. This has happened so many times now I'm getting paranoid about moving anything.
- Click on a desktop icon to drag/move it to another location on the desktop, and it opens the program. This is if you left click +hold as normal. Now I have to click fast and release, then grab it to move. Even then it will sometimes open the program after I've moved the icon.
- Selecting text to format a font, delete text, add bullets, etc. has become a major pain, and is definitely not working like normal. All too often it grabs and moves the text (or parts of it), so you really have to watch every little thing or your document is screwed up. Even if you are watching closely, this is all very time consuming and slooow now, having a major impact on productivity. Just getting it to select what you actually want is painstaking and beyond frustrating.
- Click on an explorer window to grab and move it around, and it opens full screen. This is especially annoying when want two of them side by side to drag 'n drop files. Only after a few rounds of this, or after first clicking somewhere below the title bar, can you finally drag it without it opening full screen.
- Everything works blindingly fast, like this things on steroids. Example: Say you have an Outlook email open full screen, and click the X box to close it. This thing is SO fast, it'll not only close the email, but the program sitting right behind it! Only if you click REAL fast will it close just the email.
- Click on a Menu, and it'll open and close in a less than an eye blink. Click on an item in the Task Bar, it shoots into view and back to minimized, again very quickly.
- In the Recycle Bin, I used to Ctrl +click to select what I wanted to delete at the time. Now, after picking a few items, it'll open the Properties dialogue box arbitrarily. Again, time consuming and frustrating.
- In explorer I used to easily drag the "Size, Name, or Type" headers around to see more information when needed. Now, even tho' I'm right on the little vertical divider, it'll often sort them instead of resizing the view. This can happen in any window that has those view options.
My gut tells me it's not the mouse itself, though I'm not ruling that out by any means, especially because all the issues do center on involving the mouse. Yet, it may be some Registry setting or something related to how the mouse interacts with the system - not a defective mouse itself or the SetPoint software. Just had a thought: Buried in a box somewhere I've got an old MS wired mouse, which I'm going to find and see if the problem persists.
Any suggestions as to what else to try would be greatly appreciated, as I've got some major projects to work on today & tomorrow, and this is driving me crazy.
Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK
Edited by TMacK, 25 November 2007 - 02:04 AM.