Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Mobo Should I Buy?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 saltydog806

saltydog806

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

Iím building a new rig. I have the Thermaltake Armor Super Tower ATX Case VA8003BWS. http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/chas...r/va8003bws.asp

Now it is time to decide on the MOBO and I could use some help. Iím looking to spend no more than $350.00 on the MOBO. Less would be great more would be possible if needed.

My needs can be filled by any system I build, my wants follow.

I like to play games, Soul Reaver, Halo and want to be able to play the most recent.

Intel 775 CPU ( Iím running a core 2 duo 1.86) and figure I can upgrade for a few years.

A board that will support high end gaming.

Able to run two video cards in tandem.

Handle 8-16 gigs of DDR2 ram (if it would take DDR3 for future upgrades it would be nice).

Support Intelģ next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU
Compatible with Intelģ 06/05B/05A processors

Front side bus 1600 / 1333 / 1066 / 800 Mhz

Able to Overclock

How long do I want to keep it? This is probably unrealistic but 10 years would be nice. During that time I expect to upgrade the CPU 3-5 times. I donít have to have the highest end machine however I want some power and it would be nice to be able to upgrade (without changing MOBO) and keep up with new games.

I think I want SLI video however I guess I need to look at Crossfire.

Good customer support from the manufacture, Bios upgrades ect..

If you need any other information please ask. You can also include MOBOís out of my price range if you feel it would make a difference.
Just want to say thanks in advance for any help. I havenít built a rig in over 10 years, so there has been a change or two. The bottom line is I donít want to have to change the case or MOBO. I can update the other things as time demands and money allows

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

A motherboard that seems to be very good is this one: Asus Striker . Seems a bit pricey, and I bet there's other ones similar for less, but I've heard good things about this one and Asus is probably the best brand for motherboards.

If you're looking more along the lines of Crossfie, This board is probably your best bet Asus X38 motherboard . A good feature with this board is that both of the pcie x16 slots run at a full X16. A lot of other boards for SLI and Crossfire, underclock either one or both of the slots to like X8 bandwidth, which slows it down.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 saltydog806

saltydog806
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help.As it turns out I won't be able to get what I want right now but I may be able to upgrade to a lesser MOBO untill I can get what I want. I found an ASUS P5N32-SLI PREMIUM/WiFi-AP for $110 new.
http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=337
Is this a good buy and will I be able to overclock, or am I better off spending $150 on another board. I am running a core 2 duo and have 4 mb of 800 ddr2 on the way? I have a 350 watt pSU and realize I will probably have to upgrade.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users