Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Lcd Monitor Goes Solid Color

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BHWNC

BHWNC

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:59 PM

I have an Acer Aspire 9500, with 17" monitor. Over the past few months it's developed 4 vertical lines that dont go away. I expect more lines to appear...these came one at a time. But in the last week or so, the monitor has gone blank, a solid color, not always the same color I don't think. All I can do to correct ii, is cut the power off. Is this repairable? Where do I start? Laptop is over 1 year old, but not 2 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

The first thing would be to hook up an external monitor and see if the lines migrate to the external display. You should also check and see if the bios startup portion of the boot sequence has the lines in the display as well. Use the Fn key and the display switching key (usually the F6 key) to see if you can run the external monitor and the notebooks lcd at the same time, and then compare the differences.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:24 PM

well, can you connect it to a monitor to see if it's outputting normally? if you can and it shows the same symptoms, then the integrated video is gone, and you'd be better off getting a new laptop, the cost for replacement motherboards are more than what older laptops are worth.

#4 BHWNC

BHWNC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:01 AM

Thanks, I'll try plugging it into a monitor today, and post up results later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users