Background: I was looking through old backup CDs (containing Microsoft Word .doc files) and listening to mp3's on Windows Media Player. I put in a badly scratched CD that could not be read. Laptop locked up. After ten minutes of non-responsiveness, I manually powered off the computer. Ever since powering back up I have experienced the following:
- If I double-click on My Computer it does not open. I get an hour glass, which goes away, but My Computer does not open.
- If I right click on Start and Select "Explore," nothing happens.
- If I put a CD in the CD drive, it spins up, but does not pop open a prompt of options for the CD.
- Shuts down and boots up (logging in for users) very slowly.
- Takes more than five minutes to "switch users" or to log off.
- Windows Media Player freezes up.