Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combining Hard Drive Partitions

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kanye

Kanye

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:18 PM

I have a 60GB Maxtor hard drive, and when I got it, it was in 2 paritions. (28GB x2). One has EVERYTHING, as in the Windows XP OS, program files, accessories, etc. The basic Windows hard drive. The other partition has absolutely nothing. Formatted and empty with totally nothing in it. I simply want to combine the two paritions and make it one again so that I have just one to save all my files in. Anybody know how to combine them?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:26 PM

you'll need partition magic or something like it. If you are not worried about loosing data and don't wish to buy a program then simply backup anything critical and start again.

Make certain you have all the drivers and license numbers first.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:50 PM

You might want to rethink your partition strategies on that. A lot of people would put just the OS on one partition. and documents, files, and such on the other. Then if you have a corrupt OS all you have to repair/reinstall would be that partition and you wouldn't corrupt or lose your other stuff.
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 24 November 2007 - 09:51 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

I put my OS, programs, games on 1 drive and data, documents, photos,etc.. on another drive.

#5 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:42 PM

On this PC it's quite straightforward.
On my other I got
winxp 32bit
win x64
games
on 3 different partitions.
Even in the case that one os goes bad, The other OS will still boot and all documents whatever can be saved on taht single hdd.
It's a very good idea.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

If this hdd came out of another computer and you are installing it in another you may have to reinstall the OS. The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Moving a hard drive with Windows* 2000 or Windows XP* already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows. This is documented in Microsoft's* knowledge base article †. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well."

This link will take you to the Microsoft article.

Edited by dc3, 25 November 2007 - 01:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:54 PM

Okay then, I've decided I'll edit the paritions in another way. I no longer want to fuse them. I just want this:

Partition 1: Windows XP OS, programs
Partition 2: Documents, music, movies, games, etc

So basically, P1 would be system files and programs, and P2 would be my own personal stuff. How could I transfer my Documents to the other parition? Would I have to go to C Drive>Documents and Settings and just cut and paste the entire folder? Because then programs that have links to files, like Windows Media Player to my music library, would have a bunch of broken links since all the files would be moved. Can anybody give me a good explanation and plan to move my files by hand? I just want programs and OS on one partition (already there), and my personal stuff on another.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:04 PM

Are you using XP?
If so, click Start, right-click My Documents, and select Properties.
Click the Target tab, if it't not already selected.
Click the Move button, click where you want to move My Documents to, to highlight it, then click OK.
Click Apply.
This will start the move, and leave "pointers" behind, so the Operating System will know where the files are.
After the move, when you click Start / My Documents, it will open the file from the location, where you moved it to.

You might want to consider making a folder, to move My Documents to.
One with your username on it.

An example:
Say you're moving My Documents from C:, to G:
In G:, create a folder with your name.
G:/user

This way My Documents will only occupy that folder.
If you just move it to G:, My Documents will occupy the whole partition.
The folder with your name on it will be considered the My Documents folder, for you.
When you click My Documents, that's the folder that will open.

If you have other user's on the computer, you can do the same thing.
Just go to their accounts, and move them the same way.

I know it sounds complicated, but it's really, not.
I did it the other day, with the help of usasma, and and have had no problems.
As Far as the OS is concerned, the My Documents folder, is where it always was.

If you have any questions, or concerns, just ask.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:03 PM

Thanks, that worked. What about My Music/Pictures/Videos folders?

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

They should have been moved, when My Documents was moved, since they are contained within that folder.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#11 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

I put them outside of My Documents onto the desktop before, though. Are they still moved?

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:57 PM

Did you move the folders, or did you just put shortcuts to the folders, on your desktop?

#13 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:18 PM

Dragged the whole folder. I didn't just create a shortcut, I dragged it onto the desktop.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:38 PM

Drag it from your desktop, to your My Documents folder.

Edited by tg1911, 30 November 2007 - 07:39 PM.

#15 Kanye

Kanye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:34 PM

Ok thanks, that worked. So if I deleted them from the desktop, it would all be good?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users