Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor Jumps Through The Options... And Never Stops

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 theplunger

theplunger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

I'm helping my aunt by trying to fix her computer. She has a laptop Compaq Presario V5000 with Windows XP Home.

The problem is the cursor in any given list goes through the list very fast. ...as if someone is pressing the up, down , right, or left buttons and not letting off. I can move the mouse arrow fine; however, when I go to click on "OK" or "Cancel" , for example, something is making it jump back and forth.

First thing I tried... I looked to see if the arrow buttons were stuck. On this laptop, it's hard to see. But, I think they are not stuck.

Second thing I tried... Under "Mouse Properties" I have disable the mouse on the laptop and rebooted. I now use a wireless USB mouse on it. The problem didn't go away.

I'm not sure what to do next. I can't think of it being a software issue. I had just reformatted about a week before this started happening. I want to do everything I can short of taking it apart. ...because it looks like I would have to take it apart from the bottom!!! Another clue is that it makes this horrible beeping while booting up. It wont stop until windows comes on.
I also tried to go in the bios and turn off the mouse that was before I found it in windows. I had no luck finding it. It didn't matter because in was so hard to navigate. ...it being a list and the highlight moving about at a high speed.

I sure hope I could get some help on this thing before I tear into it.

Thanks for any help. smile.gif

Update: If I press and hold the "scroll" key, everything is fine and seems to work normal.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:58 PM

I would find another keyboard first of all.
The beeping can occur, when there is something wrong with the keyboard.
Try hold down a key and bootup.

*on second thought, just try boot without the keyboard.

Edited by nightspydk, 24 November 2007 - 07:11 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

I don't think a system will boot Windows without a keyboard...but I've been wrong before :thumbsup:.

Louis

#4 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

and how much is the bet for?

edit
Just leave it to do it's thing, but don't turn it off with the power. Use the mouse instead.

Edited by nightspydk, 24 November 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#5 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:05 PM

okay, you'll need to go into bios and if I remember correct turn off the touchpad. also while it's off verify that all the keys do not stick. I will take it that you're using the touchpad only, and you may want to dig up a cheap usb mouse.

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Sorry was a bit fast there.
Bets off. :thumbsup:
Seems google offers no solution to disabling the keyboard.
Cannot be done through bios.
There might be utils that can do that. Winkey killer? Still it won't solve the noise at bootup.

#7 pasadie

pasadie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

hi, somehow I don't believe your problem could be the keyboard. I have a laptop with the same problem and thought the down key was stuck but isn't. I have some kind of nasty virus that seems to "quit" occassionally when I run virus or spyware programs to detect it and then eventually comes back. I can't seem to get rid of it. Any ideas?
pasadie

#8 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:11 PM

I had one of those laptops, they were the really good deal last year. I would definitely check the keys on the keyboard, you'll need to pop the buttons off carefully tho. if you want help in fixing the issue, let me know.

#9 theplunger

theplunger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

Pop buttons, which ones?

I'm still wondering what to do next. :thumbsup:

#10 Robert Isbell

Robert Isbell

• Banned
  • 428 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:15 PM

the keyboard keys, somethings jammed possibly. I'd check to see if any keys on the laptop stick when pressed down, if any are slow to come up after being pressed. I'd ask her if anyone had spilled anything on it in the last month before she asked you to look at it.

so that with it turned off, unplugged and the battery removed. also clean the touchpad as well.

Edited by Robert Isbell, 25 November 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#11 theplunger

theplunger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2007 - 05:42 AM

Is there a program out there that would tell me which key / mouse pad is stuck?

#12 theplunger

theplunger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:23 PM

...any chance this could be cause be some sort of problem with the ram?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users