Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Q6600 Bundled With Mobo That May Not Work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kimbo_g

kimbo_g

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

I purchased a Q6600 CPU and mobo bundle this weekend to do my first build, and I'm worried the mobo won't support the Quad.

The mobo is an ECS 671T-M, It says it supports Core 2 Duo, but not the Quad. Also, I have DDR2 800 memory... will it work? Just at a slower speed?

I was hoping to use onboard video until I can get some $$ to upgrade to a card.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:15 PM

I would hope if you bought it as a bundle from a reputable dealer it would be matched correctly
Board specs.
Mark
All the articles I've found on this bundle are complaining how Fry's sold out of them in minutes. There's also a bunch of them for sale on Craigslist

Edited by garmanma, 24 November 2007 - 08:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

Good luck on that ECS motherboard, get an EXTENDED WARRANTY. Not from personal experience but from members on the forums. Hopefully they have improved their manufacturing process and you won't have a problem.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 kimbo_g

kimbo_g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

I got mine from Fry's, didn't seem to sell out here in Dallas too fast though... I waited in the checkout line for 3 hrs though...

I saw that it will support the Core 2 Duo up to 1066 FSB, but does the Q6600 fall into that category? Will the 800 RAM work?

Good luck on that ECS motherboard, get an EXTENDED WARRANTY. Not from personal experience but from members on the forums. Hopefully they have improved their manufacturing process and you won't have a problem.

Yeah, too late for the warranty... I don't want to damage the CPU... All told, the mobo only cost $32.00... should I put it together and see if it will boot?

Edited by kimbo_g, 24 November 2007 - 09:07 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

It's supposed to work and support your CPU from what I've read. I'm not found of ECS. I'd go ahead and try it. Later on down the road maybe save for a better board, then a graphics card. This is the memory your board supports:

# Error Detection Support: Non-ECC only
# Chipset: SiS 671
# DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies: PC2-3200, PC2-4200, and PC2-5300
# Supported DRAM Types: DDR2 SDRAM only
# Module Types Supported: Unbuffered only
# Max Unbuffered DDR SDRAM: 4096MB
# Max Component Density: 1024
# Graphics Support: PCI Express x16
# 240-pin DDR2 DIMM Banking: 2 (2 banks of 1)

Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users