Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Monitor Just Before Welcome Splash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cwoll68

cwoll68

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 11:52 AM

When I start my computer, the POST shows on my monitor. Then it goes to the Windows screnn with the little bar that runs showing you it's loading. Then, when it should go to the Welcome screen, my monitor goes black, with a big gray vertical bar on the passenger's side.

I can boot up in safe mode, and have gone in to reinstall the latest version of Nvidia drivers THAT I HAVE. And it still does the same thing. I can get in on safe mode, which is where I am now, so I know my AGP video adapter is out. I have 2 different HD's, and 2 different vid cards, both Nvidia, one is a 64 mb and the other is a 256. It does this with each vid, and each HD.

Any one have any ideas???? I am lost, with the exception of having to reformat my hard drive, which is something I don't want to have to do, if at all possible.

Will getting the latest greates drivers help me????

Curtis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

Hi curtis and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If this has only be going on for a couple of days try using the system restore in safe mode to go back to a date when you know it was working last.

Edited by dc3, 24 November 2007 - 12:12 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

Are you using a capture card for TV? Reason I ask is that the various complaints about vertical bars all seem to be related to TV or capture from same.

I'm kind of confused by your caveat re drivers, "that I have". Is something preventing downloading the latest ones (especially if the ones you have may contribute to the problem)?

Worst case, you can always remove the new ones and go back to the old ones.

Louis

#4 cwoll68

cwoll68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2007 - 04:06 PM

New scenario. First, thank you for the welcome.

Next, I went back and did a boot to the last know good confinguration and it took my monitor settings back to 640 X 480 with 32 bit color.

If I change that too 800 X 600, it gives me the dead black screen at the Welcome screen. I never get the welcome screen. I changed it from 640 to 800 and my screen went black and stayed there.

I am on a Sony Trinitron Multiscan 400 PS monitor. No video capture for TV. I can download the latest drivers, no problem. What I tried though, was dumping the old drivers, and let XP put it's own NVidia drivers in there, and it still did the same thing. I guess while I wait, I will get the latest drivers, if I can find it, and try that and see if it will work.

Thanks guys,

Curtis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

There's been lot's of recent problems with video drivers for Windows Update - try the drivers from http://www.nvidia.com and see what that does for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nightspydk

nightspydk

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

If I may be so bold as to ad to usasma's post. It is a good idea to remove the old driver before you install a new. It's the recommended procedure by ATI,nvidia.

You get 'Driver cleaner pro'.
-Inside windows you use the 'add/remove feature to uninstall your old driver.
-You reboot in safe mode.
-Run driver cleaner pro and run the cab cleaner. That's important, but read the text that should accompany the utility about what you need to do.
-Reboot normally and cancel out all windows detect new hardware stuff.
-Install your new driver.

It really can be a very good idea, since parts of the old driver will be left on disk, if you just install.

*edit spelling again

Edited by nightspydk, 25 November 2007 - 07:06 PM.

#7 cwoll68

cwoll68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:13 PM

Installed Driver Cleaner Pro, cleaned out all that crap. Then re booted and canceled all auto detect and install stuff. Started to reinstall the new drivers, and right in the middle of the whole shabank........BAM!!!!!!!!!!! Went to the black screen and I couldn't do anything. Even installed the newest 9.0 directx......same thing.

I am temporarily on an Nvidia 64 mb GeForce MZ 100/200.....but it was doing the same thing on a FX 256 Nvidia card.

Getting ready to stick a sledge hammer through it. What would it do (if any good) if I reinstalled Windows on another hard drive, or even reformatted this one, and reinstalled windows???? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:34 AM

A clean install won't solve any hardware problems, if such exist...but it's certainly a base from which to start if anything other than hardware is problematic and cannot be reasonably diagnosed by user/owner.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users